Prologue- Xavier's log

Xavier had escaped his father, Count Julio Alfaro, by boat at dark sailing off to nowhere trying to escape Julio's rage before he finds out what he had done.
           How did his life turn out like this? There was a time when he and Julio were close. A time he'd loved the company of his vampire dad. Now he was a runaway deserting his former home, the Count's castle, in the dead of night. It all went well before, unfortunately for him his mother died. That was five years ago when the boy was only ten. He loved her dearly but so did Count Julio.
               So much that it hurt when she sacrificed herself to protect the boy from the homicidal vampires. He tried his best to protect them both but it was a rule that humans were forbidden in the Mythical Beast Nation. Abhorred by vampires especially, a hate that fuelled their riot. She was murdered right in front of them both, in the cold outside on the night they'd planned to escape. Kid Xavier turned away weeping into his father's cloak while Count Julio stood watching. He knew very well he could do nothing because he had broken the law. Hearing her final dying  words fade away,"...save Xavier...".
          The deed was done, it was Xavier's turn.
          "Wait...", the Count raised a hand at his bloodthirsty subjects, his eyes blood-rouge and teary but he swore he would not cry. He had a promise to keep,"...spare the boy for he is partly vampire. My blood flows through his veins as well, believe me! I will bring him up, train him in our  ways to develop that side of him. You have my word, my people, that you shall be the determiners of his fate when the time comes. He shall take the 15th L.Y.T.A with the other awaiting candidates. If he fails,...strip him of his soul if you will".
          The vampires spared Xavier's life- for now -taking Julio's word into account but from then on their respect for their head vampire had declined
          Over the years, the Count grew bitter over the loss of his lady. Bitterness turned to dislike for Xavier, for the boy resembled his mother. A resemblance that brought back painful memories.

                *** *** *** *** ***
              Count Julio was hard at work training Xavier. He needed to acquire a full set of vampire abilities or even be able to muster a few to ace his L.Y.T.A.
              He'd taken multiple subtests and was trying his hardest but he could only score an average. Average wasn't good enough for the vampires to accept him. To Xavier the L.Y.T.A seemed like a riddle of life or death, he had to solve in so little time and with so little experience and skill.
                Julio, on the other hand, was relentless. Not because he wanted the kid to live but to relieve his conscience of any guilt, if he did fail. At least, he tried his hardest to keep his lady's dying wish.

      ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
                Now on the night before his 15th Lunar Year Test of Adulthood, he had committed a crime that he was sure would anger his father to an uncontrollable end.
                 He had a fight with his 168 year old step sister, their daddy's favourite, and won.
                 Gwennesa had completed her 15th L.Y.T.A 18 years ago, even before Xavier was born, yet she didn't look a day over 16, just pale and fangy. She had acted the test with the highest score rank, elite graduate; passed all vampire abilities to the max., just as her father had expected.
                   So then how did she lose a fight to her step brother. Xavier didn't have nearly as much fighting experience as she did, had less than half of her vampire abilities, and was just a weak, pathetic human.
                   Gwennesa lay on the ground, her back against the wall, immobile but still alive. She was breathless and panting, aching and profusely bleeding, but with a smirk on her face. She'd crossed her fingers hoping Julio would arrive from his meeting early.
                     With short bursts of hysterical laughter, she shrieked as he ran," wait till daddy sees what you've done to his favourite child...". Xavier,  hastily raiding his father's room closet of weapons and supplies, looked over his shoulder, a look of dread in his eyes and with a face paler than his sister's. "...he's gonna drain you dry". She continued to laugh and laugh and laugh....
                       What happened? How did the fight begin? How did it end up like this, why did it end up like this? What on earth was their father going to say, what was Julio going to do? All these thoughts rushed through his mind like floodwaters after a dam bursts open. Queries to something that happened not long ago but seemed to him to be faded, hazy memories in dire need of recollection. As he breathlessly rowed out of the fog and into the main ocean he continued to wonder as he looked up at the full moon in the sky.

   *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *  
                  When  the Count had arrived at his castle he witnessed something bizarre. Tens of frantic castle servants hustling up and down the stairs, each either carrying cleaning supplies up or pieces of broken furniture down. Julio was confused because their working hours had ended before he had even left the castle.
                   Annoyed, he yelled at the top of his lungs, a thunderous roar," What's going on?". Suddenly all the servants were transfixed at where they stood, staring at Julio. All these hustle and bustle was enough for them not to notice the Count's arrival.
                     He pointed at one," You come, the rest of you go on with whatever it is you're doing". When the maid had arrived she was carrying pieces of a vase that had belonged in the Count's bedroom. Massaging his forehead with his thumbs and forefingers he asked calmly," What happened, what are you all doing here after working hours? I thought you had all left".
                       "Madam Gwennesa called called us back. She said we should come and clean up the mess Xavier made. He's fled with weapons and supplies and beat up the Madam...".
                       " He beat up his sister...", Gwennesa's voice echoed in the halls and hallways. As she descended down the flight of stairs taking them one at a time. Two maids, one on each side, kept dabbing wet cloths on her body  wiping off blood stains. She gestured for them both to leave her and grabbed one damp cloth and continued cleaning herself. "...leaving her to bleed in her father's room".
                          Her body was still scarred, every wound Xavier had inflicted on her body had still remained. Julio knew it was intentional, physical evidence. She stood in front of her father and greeted him,"Good evening".
                          "Hmmm..."the Count sighed. "...soo he's forfeiting the test". Julio glared at her," Don't be silly Gwennesa, be a lady and remove those scars. I can't bear the sight of them". In a moment, all her scars had vanished as though they were not even there.
                          "So what do we do now father, we're not just going to let him get away are we".
                          "No, we..."the conversation was cut short. One of the Count's personal footmen, agitated and bearing a face that alluded he was a messenger with very bad news, run up to the two. He spoke quickly and feverishly that almost sounded gibberish. "Slow down, Trickles,...now talk calmly".
                          "Lord Julio, your room vault...has been breached".
                           The Count was provoked at the mention of his vault that he didn't wait for Trickles to end his sentence. He sped straight to his room, entered his closet room and stopped in front of his opened vault. He jostled past the servants tidying up his room and closet. His other trusted footman, Timmy Kleaves was already present and stood staring into the empty vault.
                             Their both gone...the map and the pearl". Gwennesa and Trickles Kleaves sped upstairs to join them both.
                              "Gather our people at the courtyard, and announce to them that a hunt for Xavier begins tonight and there'll be a special reward for whoever can bring him to me, alive. Let's find that rascal.

     *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.
If you are enjoying the story please vote (the small star in the corner). It is possible to vote on each chapter.

Votes let me know that the readers are enjoying the story and encourages me to keep writing.

It can also help give the book a higher rank, which makes it more visible to others.

Be sure to comment as well. The next chapter will be published within this week.