Chapter 20

I opened my eyes and sat up on my bed, rubbing my temples and stretching my limbs out afterwards. I yawned, swinging my legs over the edge of the mattress to get up and start my day. The curtains hung in front of my window blocked the sunlight from engulfing the whole room, so it was quite dark. Walking across my room and to the light switch next to the door, I flicked the switch. It was no longer dark, the yellow light above my bed lighting the entire room. I went over to my closet and grasped both knobs, gently pushing the doors inwards as they folded in on themselves. I searched through my clothing and chose out a random outfit. I changed out of my pajamas and into my outfit, shutting my closet doors and combing my hair after. I rushed out the exit of my room as I fixed my shirt and hair. I entered the bathroom and quickly brushed my teeth. Reaching the stairs, I jumped down on the last couple of steps and landed on my knees. Although it hurt, I laughed, a shadow approaching and hovering over my body. I looked up with a smile.

"Papa!" I stood up and ran up to him, hugging his leg. 

He picked me up and kissed my forehead. "How's my little prince/princess doing?"

"I dreamt about it again…" I said, frowning. 

"Oh." He frowned as well, pulling me in for another hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and dug my face into his shoulder. "I am so sorry, sweetheart. Hopefully the dream will go away soon."

He turned and headed into the kitchen, carrying me in his arms all the way to my seat. He pulled the chair out and placed me down upon it.

"I shouldn't have told you that story, (N/N). It's my fault that you're having this recurring nightmare." Dad explained as he began to cook breakfast.

"It isn't much of a nightmare, dad. I got used to it, but it is starting to bother me now that it is happening over and over again." I said. "I do have a question though."

"What is it, sweetie?" UN questioned.

"Is it true that Reich saved me? When he came by a couple days ago, he did not seem very fond of me." 

I wanted to know so badly. 

"He is like that, sweetheart. He doesn't really like anyone, not even his own son. I don't know what made him change his mind that day he saved you, but I am thankful he did." Papa sounded slightly upset.

"Oh. Well, can I go visit him today?" I asked him. 

Papa froze for a moment. 

"No." 

My eyes widened. "Why not? Please, dad!"

"I don't want you getting hurt by him. He's also a dangerous man, and I'd tell you the horrifying things he has done in the past, but you are still too young. Besides, he doesn't like having visitors." He described sternly, setting my plate in front of me. He sat down across from me.

I sighed in defeat. "Fine."

"I got you this." Papa brought out a present from underneath the table. 

Then I remembered.

It was my birthday today!

I'm turning five years old today.

I brought the present up to my face with my small hands. 

"Open it after we eat, sweetheart." Dad said.

"Okie!" I put it down and pushed it aside.

I added the finishing touches to my drawing and grinned, happy at what I had just done. It was my first ever drawing and it was an absolute masterpiece in my eyes. I sprinted down the stairs and over to Mexico, who was babysitting me while my father was at work. I  tugged at his pants, catching his attention. He turned and crouched down to my height.

"What do you have there, little señorita?" He asked.

I handed him the piece of paper. 

Mexico took it and examined it with a proud smile. "What a beautiful drawing."

"It's for you!" 

He stood up straight and grabbed a magnet, hanging it up on his fridge.

"Gracias. Now run along now, I've got some dishes to clean and tamales to make." 

I nodded and ran off back upstairs to the guest room I was assigned to sleep or play in whenever I was being babysat by Mexico. 

I loved Mexico's house. It was beautiful with his garden and decorations hung up on the walls. His culture was intriguing to me as well as his food. His tamales were the best!

I hummed a melody Papa would always sing to me before I went to bed at night as I began with another drawing. I pulled out a piece of paper from a desk and thought of something to draw. 

A knock on my door startled me. I looked over at the door.

"Who's there?" I said.

"Can I come in?" A familiar German country asked.

"Germany?" 

The door was unlocked and Germany walked inside with a present in his hands. He closed the door behind him and went up to me. He sat on the bed beside me.

"What are you doing here?" I sat up and put my pencil down.

"I am just here to give you your birthday gift. I won't be able to make it to your party later in the day, so I thought that I would spend time with you right now." He explained.

"Oh...but why?" I looked up at him with my sad puppy eyes.

"I am going to be busy helping my grandfather and father with fixing up their home and other stuff." He answered. I could hear it in his voice, he was really unhappy. However, I sensed that something was off. 

Was he lying to me?

"Can't they just do it themselves?" I put my hands on my hips. "It ain't your house, plus you are an adult. You can do whatever you want. They can't order you around!"

Germany didn't speak. He kept quiet.

"Only if you knew, (Y/N)..."