Chapter 14- After

Start from the beginning

"Yeah I'm all good thanks. I'll try and get some rest." Gracie said as they all walked out for a few minutes.

"Is everything ok with her? I thought she'd be more excited about winning this tournament she's been looking forward to it and training for weeks." Will asked a little confused.

"It could just be her ankle hurting her I mean she's probably just a little bit distracted." Nat suggested before Jay cut in.

"Uh she um, she lost her Grandma this morning. The senior citizen home called me and told me that she'd passed away in her sleep. Natural causes, Cardiac arrest." Jay explained.

"Oh my god, that poor girl." Nat responded looking across through the glass at Gracie who had her head held back on the pillow in an effort to try and sleep.

"I know, she just can't catch a break honestly me and Jay just, we hated having to tell her something we knew was gonna break her heart. She's come really far since moving in with us and this was a big blow for her." Hailey said and felt Jay's comforting hand on her back.

"Well you guys are doing a great job. She's got a good home with you guys, she was thriving the last time we saw her and even with all this you can see a difference in her today that the girl we first treated when she came to the hospital after all that stuff happened." Nat complimented smiling at the couple opposite her.

"Yeah Nat's right and look if any of you need help in anyway we'll be more than happy to come by anytime." Will added.

"Thank you guys that means a lot." Jay responded gratefully, patting Will on the shoulder.

Hailey and Jay went back in with Gracie for a while.

"Honey, I'm gonna go grab some coffee d'you want something?" Jay offered once he saw Gracie was sleeping,  getting up out of his chair.

"Just the usual, thanks babe." Hailey said and Jay smiled and nodded before going out of the room briefly to go and get some coffee.

Jay walked to the nearest coffee place in the hospital and picked up two coffees as well as some chocolate cookies and a bottle of water for when Gracie was feeling a little better later.

He got in line, that went down reasonably fast and within ten minutes was paid and on his way back to Gracie's treatment room.

"Thanks honey." Hailey said taking the coffee.

As Jay handed over the hot drink, Gracie woke up. The first thing she saw were the white walls as she was lying facing away from Jay and Hailey. She was a little jumpy when she woke up and noticing this immediately Jay and Hailey were at her side.

"Hey, we're right here." Hailey responded and put her hand on top of her foster daughters giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"You're right here with us." Jay reassured. He knew she had a tendency to wake up in the middle of some of her worst dreams and forgets that she now lives safely with him and Hailey.

After a some x-rays and another talk with Will and Nat, Gracie was cleared to go home. It had been confirmed that she had a grade 2 ankle sprain and was sent home with some crutches and a cast-boot to wear for a couple of weeks to aid her recovery.

A week or so after Gracie's tournament and the hospital visit it was time for her Grandma's funeral.

"Gracie it's time to go, you ready to go honey?" Hailey called from the kitchen.

Jay gestured to Hailey to look over at the small gap in Gracie's door between the door and the frame through which you could just see Gracie sitting on the end of her bed just staring down at the floor with a sad, helpless expression.

She was all ready to go dressed in a black skater dress with black pantyhose and a black jacket but it was almost like she couldn't move.

"I'll go talk to her." Jay offered and walked into her room.

Jay walked into Gracie's room and sat down on the end of her bed next to her.

"Hey." Jay said as he sat down. "You mind if I sit with you for a sec?"

Gracie just shrugged her shoulders and nodded slightly. "Sure." She answered and then paused before speaking again like she was thinking about what to say. "What if I can't do it?"

"I think...that you can do anything you put your mind to, but if you feel sad, or nervous or you just can't do it anymore then Hailey and I, we're gonna be there the whole time. We're gonna be sitting right in the front row so that you can see us." Jay reassured.

Gracie leaned into his side resting her head against his shoulder. Jay moved to wrap an arm around her.

"Everything's going to be ok." Jay whispered comfortingly as he hugged her in his side.

Next Chapter is available right now! Hope you're enjoying it so far! :)