Boiling Point

{MIHO'S POV}
After the night of the ball, I make a point to always wear blue. This way, it's like Aoi is always with me.

I feel like a gas stove with all the gaslighting going on. Akegi especially just wants to pretend like I never ran away in the first place.

My feeling of wanting to see Aoi has only grown the more people try to trivialize the impact of the war on my life. Finally, desire wins over mind.

There's only one thing to do.

Asahi, who has been growing since her 12th birthday a week and a half ago, finds me packing. She's once again in a "borrowed" maid's uniform from laundry, this one bigger than the last.

"What'cha doing?" Asahi asks casually, leaning against the door frame.

"Running... away." I tell her.

She raises her eyebrows. "Again?"

"I want to... see Aoi."

"Would Aoi-heika really accept that reasoning? You two made a promise, didn't you? You'll be breaking it if you return too soon."

"He'll... forgive me. I want... to see Aoi." This desire has bubbled up from the hour we separated, and now it's boiled over. There's no stopping it.

"Suit yourself." Asahi shrugs. "I can't really force Miho-sama to stay."

She leaves me alone to my packing.

{ASAHI'S POV}
Miho-sama is being blinded by her emotions. If she leaves now, the rift between her and her family will deepen to the point of no return.

Miho-sama has done so much for my family. From the very first day we met, she's done nothing but save us, over and over again.

I still remember Papa and Mama crying and jumping around with joy after Miho-sama asked Aoi-heika to grant land to Papa for our people's effort during the last battle, and he agreed. Tulip Village has been reborn because of her.

I want to help Miho-sama and her family reconcile to make up for some of that debt. She'll be happier in the long run if she doesn't cut these bonds.

I sneak down to laundry and put the borrowed uniform back with the dirty linens. Sorry to whoever thinks their uniform is clean but now isn't!

I'm debating what to do when I run into the number one source of the problem herself: Miho-sama's big sister, Akegi. I feel a flash of irritation. How dare she make our beautiful Commander suffer?

We pass each other, Akegi continuing to walk in the direction I came from. I stop.

"Hey you!" I call.

Akegi pauses. She turns around and points to herself. "Are you referring to me?"

I roll my eyes. "Who else?"

Akegi blinks, as if she's never been talked to like this. Now that I think about it, she probably hasn't. I keep forgetting that Miho-sama and her family are royalty, because she's so tolerant of rudeness. Can't drop the attitude now. Not that I ever would.

I plant a hand on my hip. "Do me a favor."

Akegi blinks some more. "Uh—"

"Great, thanks. Gather all your family members together. The library works. We need to talk. It's about Miho-sama so chop chop."

"What about Miho?"

"See ya'll in 10 minutes then." I lift my hand, waving casually over my shoulder as I walk off.

I walk to Kazuma's quarters and tell him the situation. He agrees to watch which direction Miho-sama leaves from. I go to the library.

To my surprise, Akegi did as I asked. She, Shiro, Shirayuki, and Zen are all gathered, as well as the aides, Mitsuhide and Obi. Even Kiki is there, with her six year old daughter Misaki in tow.

"Oh hi!" I squeak, temporarily losing my confidence in front of such an impressive line up.

"What about Miho?" Zen asks, straight to the point.

I take a calming breath. "I want to tell you the truth about Miho-sama's role in the war. You need to hear it, or you'll never reconnect with Miho-sama. She'll forever be trapped by 'the way it's always been.'"

The mood in the library swings from one of mild curiosity to gravely serious.

"Of the casualties, 30% were from West Zoral and the other 70% were from East Zoral. Of course, this percentage includes Kenji's slaughter of innocents, but far more people in that bastard's army died compared to the rebels."

"What's this have to do with Miho?" Akegi asks.

"Miho-sama is the Commander, second only to Aoi-heika himself. She personally lead all the main battles. Because we were outnumbered most of the time, Miho-sama favored a defensive position. She often hid her men behind a phalanx, or had every soldier learn to carry and fight with a shield."

"And?" Akegi interrupts again. Shiro shushes her.

"The thing about the phalanx, it has high defense but is slow and easy to avoid. A battle can't be won with defense alone. So how do you think the rebels managed to kill so many of their enemies?"

No one speaks, although I see the answer forming in their minds.

"The answer is simple. A majority of the enemies were decimated by two people."

I pause dramatically, letting that sink in.

"That's right. Miho-sama and Aoi-heika. Miho-sama is Aoi-heika's sword. They need each other like thunder needs lightning. Miho-sama's fatal flaw of attacking with no regard for defending has never improved. In fact, Miho-sama grew worse at defense over time. She just got a lot better at offense. Aoi-heika's main function on the battlefield is as Miho-sama's shield. In other words, more defense."

"What are you saying?" Shirayuki asks breathlessly.

"Most of the enemies were decimated by one person. Miho-sama, by herself and with a rapier—a sword unsuitable for killing because it's so thin and light—was responsible for more than half of the deaths of the losing side. Over 8,500 dead by her blade."

Akegi gasps and looks like she's going to puke. Shirayuki closes her eyes. Kiki and the men all stare at me, grim-faced.

"Miho-sama has earned many nicknames. More than even I know. She doesn't much like them, but would you like to hear?"

"Yes." Zen says immediately.

"From allies: Commander, obviously. Spartan Drill Sergeant." I take a deep breath. It hurts to even think these next things about Miho-sama. "From enemies: Bloodstained Sword. Monster. Demoness. Crazed Beserker. Aoi's Lapdog. Harbinger of Doom. Pink Angel of Death. The West's Grim Reaper. Strawberry Sunset. War Monger. Stutterer."

I open my mouth, but I can't say the last. Aoi-heika made it taboo the second he heard it.

"What?" Mitsuhide senses my hesitation.

I swallow hard. "Broken Doll."

Zen's hand slams down on the table we sit around. I'm shocked it doesn't crack. Finally realizing how insensitive she's been, Akegi begins to cry.

"One last thing," I tell them. "Miho-sama is running away. I'm not sure how far she's gotten."

A moment of silence. Everyone blinks.

Then they're all up in my face shouting, "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US THAT EARLIER?!"

"Shhh! This is a library!" I scold. "I wanted you to listen to what I had to say first. There's no way you could stop her without knowing anything."

Akegi sprints off first, followed closely by Shiro, Shirayuki, and Zen. Mitsuhide tries to follow but Obi and Kiki hold him back.

"Go." I whisper, sending them off with a silent prayer they make it in time.

I've sown the seeds, but this is ultimately a family affair. Whatever happens with our Commander after this is up to you guys now.