Chapter 20

Hannah

I didn't like this pack. Not at all. I kept it to myself for the first couple of days, trying to find a redeeming quality, but had decided to discuss it with Micah.

'Micah?' I ask through our link.

'What's up, buttercup?' I smile at his voice in my head.

'This pack is awful.' I say firmly and I think I've shocked him a little.

'Why? Did they do something to you? Did someone hurt you?' He asks worriedly.

'No. But it's basically a military compound. Every moment of every day is scheduled, they train like warriors, they barely have any free time. They don't even have a park for the kids. It's terrible!' I exclaim and I can feel Micah worrying about me through our bond.

'You don't have to stay there, sweetness. I can see if the next pack will take you a few days early, or you could come home for a few days. Whatever you want to do.' He offers sweetly and my heart aches at the idea of going home, but I don't think I could force myself to leave again.

'As much as I want to go home, I feel like I have gained some really good insights by visiting other packs. Can you see if they'll take us a few days early?' I ask and I can hear his sigh of disappointment.

'Sure thing. You want to stay longer then or still just a week?'

'Just a week.' I respond quickly and he chuckles.

'Anxious to come back to me?' He teases and I giggle.

'Maybe. I've missed you, Micah.' I say sadly and he sighs.

'I've missed you too, sweetness.'

'Really?' I ask playfully making him chuckle.

'Yes. I had to beg your mom to let me borrow your pillow, as pathetic as it sounds. Your scent is the only thing that helps me sleep.' He admits and I can't help but laugh. 'I'll call the Alpha right now. Get you out of there.' He says.

'Thank you.'

'Anything for you.' He responds before I feel the link break.

It doesn't take him long to let me know that the next pack is fine with me coming early. He had also called the alpha of the pack we are staying in to tell him he needed Griffin back so we were leaving early. I was glad I didn't have to come up with a reason because 'your pack is a hell hole' probably isn't something I should say to an alpha.

We were loaded up and on the road within half an hour and after I forced Griffin to stop at the giant bookstore and took my sweet time browsing, all the while mind linking Micah to tell him how excited I was about a few books I thought he'd like. He didn't seemed thrilled about reading, but he seemed to be understanding me more as a person, what I need from him as my mate. We made more progress apart than we probably ever could have together.

We reached the next pack and as soon as we hit the borders, we could sense the unease. There were a large number of patrol wolves around the borders and even more standing around the packhouse where the alpha waited for us. We slowly exited the vehicle and approached him, both baring our necks in submission.

"Everything OK, Alpha?" Griffin inquires, taking a protective stance in front of me.

"Yes, just some issues with another pack. The next door alpha is a little high strung, we've increased patrols but nothing to worry about." He goes over the rules for the pack like every other alpha does with visitors before we are shown our rooms.

I feel uneasy the whole time, every little sound making me jump. I walk next door to Griffin's room and knock on the door. He opens it and I see he had two twin size beds instead of my one queen and I breathe a sigh of relief.