Chapter 8

Hannah

“I will make an example out of you to show exactly what happens when a pack member talks shit about my mate. Now get your sorry ass to the kitchens. Unless you’d prefer the cells. Your choice.” He says, his eyes flashing black, shining in the light of the sun.

I hear a collective gasp with hushed whispers as what he has said registers with everyone. The color from Jasmine’s face drains and she stammers.

“No. It can’t be. But… but I thought I’d be your mate.” She murmurs. Her birthday is only a few weeks away, and she is a very strong wolf. I wouldn’t have been surprised myself if they were mates. The thought makes a pang of hurt go through me. Micah must feel it through the bond, because his eyes shift back to green, and he looks over at me. He turns back to Jasmine and lets out a cruel laugh.

“You? My mate? I’ll thank the Moon Goddess every day she didn’t pair me with someone like you.” He says harshly, a tone I’ve become familiar with over the years. Jasmine obviously wasn’t used to it, as her eyes filled with tears.

“Go to the kitchens. Now. Get well acquainted with them. If your poor attitude doesn’t change, you’ll be seeing a lot of them.” He says with narrowed eyes. She turns on her heel and runs, the sounds of her sobs echoing through the training grounds.

“Anyone else have something smart to say?” He yells, making everyone jump. They all avert their eyes to the ground except me. I’m glaring daggers at Micah. As if he can feel it, he locks eyes with me before he speaks again.

“Everyone go on a run. NOW!” He bellows, walking over to me. I turn as if to follow, but he grabs my wrist to stop me.

“Not you, sweetness.” He murmurs.

“Awwww.” Katie coos from beside me and I snarl at her. She widens her eyes at me and begins to run with the rest of the pack. Micah waits until they are out of ear shot and drops my wrist.

“What?!” I spit at him.

“I kept you back so you could yell at me.” He says simply, shrugging his shoulder.

“Seriously?” I ask confused and he nods.

“I’m sorry I let my wolf lose control. He couldn’t stand her talking about you like that.” He says rubbing the back of his neck. I smack him on the chest, and he takes a step back.

“God damn it Micah! You couldn’t last a single day? No, not even a single hour!” I scream and he lowers his gaze in shame. “And you slept with her?! Do you have no standards! Everyone knows she’s like a fucking mini mart. Open for service 24/7.” I huff and cross my arms over my chest. Micah gives me an apologetic look before taking a deep breath.

“You’re right. I’m sorry. I wasn’t really thinking and I’m stupid.” He says and the admission makes me crack a smile.

“What are you smiling about?” He asks me curiously and I roll my eyes at him.

“It was sweet. The way you defended me.” I say quietly and he gives me a shy smile, inching closer and reaching out his arms to wrap them around me.

“Yeah?” He asks, tucking his face in my neck and breathing deep.

“Yeah.” I say before shoving him away. “But you’re still an asshole and you’re going to get checked for diseases before you touch me again.” I say firmly, pointing at him and he bends over in a laugh until he stands up straight and wipes the tears from his eyes.

“That’s honestly probably a good idea.” He responds and I can’t stop the laughter from bubbling out. We both continue to giggle until everyone comes back from their run. Micah pairs me with Katie this time and the rest of training is, luckily, uneventful. After Micah dismisses everyone, I turn to walk home, only to have him stop me.