Chapter 4

11 years old.

December,

They are 11 years old and Naruto is still annoying and even irritating, but he is also his friend. His only friend. Naruto does nonsense that is actually fun, even if Sasuke would not admit it aloud in his whole life. Naruto is also determined and stubborn and has completely no shame. He stands on benches and at school tables and shouts out loud how much Sasuke deserved that first place at the science fair. He shouts about how unfair it is that Lee was not able to join the martial arts club at school despite being the coolest, only because it is led by a hollow-headed teacher who prefers to have rich presumptuous members on the team than the ones who are truly talented ninjas (because, yes, Naruto thinks that Lee is a ninja). He is not worried about getting detention two days after that. He does not mind standing in the middle of the gym and shouting his name to everyone and the fact that no matter how much they make fun of him, he will become the best policeman the city has seen, that the whole world has seen, and he will be even better than his father and even better than his mother. He does not mind wearing that stupid orange sweatshirt that is old and horrible in the middle of summer just because her mother gave it to him on his birthday. He does not mind screaming in the middle of the class and challenging Neji, the genius of the Hyuuga family, to a fight in the hall just so he can kick his ass and show him that he is not a failure as he says.

They are eleven years old and Naruto is stubborn and wild and stupid. God, Naruto does not think, he just acts, and he's so upset because Sasuke has to stay after class to accompany him to his detentions just so he does not go home alone, it's annoying because he has to endure the shame of everyone else turning to see them in the hallway because Naruto is noisy as hell, it's annoying because Sasuke has to listen to Naruto's long speeches about ramen and miso and how amazing Ichiraku is, it's annoying because Naruto gets excited about everything and talks all the time and Sasuke is stuck with him since his brother made him be kind to him.

It's annoying because a part of Sasuke, the part that is hidden inside him, does not really care at all and actually enjoys Naruto's company. It terrifies him to know that part of him admires Naruto for his way of being and even envies his stubbornness and his strength and his raw and savage honesty.

It's annoying because Sasuke considers him his friend, because Sasuke considers him his only friend, and Itachi was right, Itachi was right as always and Naruto is a good friend, Naruto is always there, and Sasuke does not want to lose him.

It's annoying because Sasuke does not want to need anyone. It's annoying because Sasuke needs him.

"So, I was thinking..."

"Don't try too hard, dobe. You're going to burn your brain."

Naruto rolls his eyes at him and smiles. He smiles as he does the whole damn time. Why cannot him stop smiling? Does not he get tired of it? There must be some disease in the muscles that you can give if you keep doing it. "Let me talk, Sasuke-bastard. So, I was thinking, do you think your mom cares that you're home late? Because I have this amazing coupon that Teuchi gave me last weekend and...!"

Sasuke snorts. "I will not eat ramen again, usuratonkachi."

"But it's free! Two free dishes! Two, Sasuke! And it's pork ramen-miso!"

Sasuke grimaces. "Go, but only you. It's not like you can't eat the two dishes by yourself."

Naruto hits Sasuke's shoulder. "Oh com' on, don't be so bitter. I know you like how the old man cooks, besides, Adame likes you."

Sasuke looks at him as if he had grown two heads. "Adame doesn't like me, you idiot. She's older than me for years, and even if she liked me, what does that have to do with the ramen?"