Chapter Three|bad idea!

Katerina

Lark was outside yelling at someone over the phone, pacing back and forth while he gestured with his hands wildly. The fierceness in his eyes was intimidating, from here I could see his jaw clenching. Lucy had turned up the volume on the music in Lark's Urus to give her brother some privacy. However, the three of us were still staring out the window through the dark film. Pogue turned to Lucy with a look of concern.

"You don't think-"

"Shut up, Pogue," Lucy said quickly, "it's probably just our dad, it's nothing."

Pogue raised his eyebrows at her, "You know Lark wouldn't yell at Christopher like that."

"Then...maybe it's Christian. Whatever."

Christian Everlake was Christopher's older brother, Larks black-sheep uncle who didn't seem to be in the picture too often. As far as I knew, he was still one of Christopher's associates but the brothers had a tendency to get into very public feuds.

We watched as Lark aggressively hung up the phone, clutching it in his hand and staring at the concrete wall across from him as if he was prepared to fling his phone at it. His shoulders lifted and fell as he took a deep breath, stuffing his phone in his pocket before stalking toward the car.

"Avert your eyes," Pogue said abruptly, "Um, Kat, what made you come to the school?"

I huffed, "Same reason we're all here. Not exactly like our parents have time for us." Lark climbed into the car without a word, speeding out of the parking garage as if he was in a nascar race. I buckled my seatbelt quickly, finding myself pressing against the seat as much as I could.

Pogue was rambling beside me, something about how he and Lark met. I wasn't listening too much, focusing more on the fact that Lark seemed to be testing just how fast this car could go. He came to a screeching halt in front of the gates, rolling down the window to give a signal to the guard who was sat in his cubicle. As soon as the gates were big enough for the car to fit, he stepped on the gas and sent us all jolting backward.

My heart was racing, I could feel a pit in my throat as my stomach churned nervously. I wiped my hands on my sweater before my palms could get too sweaty. With everything going on with my family and moving here, life was moving too fast. This car was moving too fast. I swallowed hard as he swerved into oncoming traffic, a honk coming from the distance.

"Jesus, Lark!" Lucy snapped as her brother began to cut through the traffic. Subconsciously, I clutched the seats beneath me. I wanted to yell at him, to tell him to stop driving like an idiot, but I couldn't form the words. I shut my eyes tightly, hoping to keep the tears from forming in my eyes.

Hannah and I were arguing, I couldn't remember what the conversation was. Looking back on it now our voices were absent, as if someone had pressed the mute button on the TV. Although, the blinding headlights of the truck barrelling toward us was clear in my mind.

"Hannah, watch ou-"

The words died in the air , my ears rung and I could feel my face burning. The car tumbled, hitting the concrete harshly. When I looked toward my sister, her body was limp. I was the only one screaming, but that quieted quickly as my head hit something and the world went dark.