002. diagon alley

metanoia

chapters two—diagon alley

AVALYN FEATHERS HAD always loved the summer breeze that flutters through your hair as you stroll down the streets, yet, stumbling out of Gringotts Bank after transferring some muggle money into galleons and sickles, alongside her two best friends — Phoebe Spencer and Aaron Hayes — was rather chaotic. The two fellow Gryffindors are much more outspoken and confident than the muggle-born witch that walks alongside them.

"Honestly, Ava, I don't understand why you turned down Peter Longbottom." Phoebe is rambling as the trio walk through the mounds of excited witches and wizards getting their school supplies for the new year at Hogwarts. "He's practically the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain—"

"No he's not, actually." Avalyn says smartly with a raise of her eyebrows. "Edmund Prewett is the Quidditch Captain—just because Peter is good doesn't mean he's Captain worthy."

"And Edmund Prewett is?" Aaron butts in making Avalyn roll her eyes slightly as they stroll into Florish and Blotts bookstore, seeing instantly that the shop is packed full of students rushing to get their books. "Oh would you look who it is?"

Aaron's tone is rather dull as he nods over to a group of teenage boys that Avalyn recognises instantly. Phoebe scoffs as a certain dark haired boy looks at her, her and Alphard Black had a fling going in fifth year but since Phoebe is a Gryffindor and a muggle-born he was forced to leave her by his friends and family.

"Not once did he write with an apology after dumping me in the courtyard in front of all his little cronies." Phoebe says like she doesn't care but Avalyn can see right through her unbothered facade. "Honestly, he's completely immature."

"Yes, Phoebe, we know." Aaron sighs, scratching the side of his head and messing up some of his light brown coloured hair, the hazel eyed boy had spent most of his summer writing back and forth from the red head, hearing none stop about her anger with Alphard.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's already moved on—possibly Rosalie Young." Phoebe scoffs, seeing the blonde stood beside the Slytherin boy, the two of them smiling as they look at different books. She's beautiful, Rosalie, her blonde hair like a golden stream, cascading down her back and her eyes a deep entrancing green colour, hypnotic even.

Rolling her eyes slightly, Avalyn continues her slow walk inside the bookshop, pausing near a certain section and scanning her finger across the spines, eyebrows furrowed slightly as she searches.

"Curious, aren't they?" A male voice says from beside her and the brown haired girl turns her head and sees a boy. Curly, dark hair with deep brown eyes and a probably permanent smirk on his face.

"What are?" Avalyn says, hating to admit to herself that she wasn't paying attention when he'd approached her, folding her arms over her stomach loosely.