004. what are you reading?

metanoia

chapter four—what are you reading?

The corridors are mostly vacant as Avalyn Feathers strolls hurriedly down, her brown eyes focused on the doors at the end of the hall. Her flats tap against the stone floor and the door creaks as she walks into the library, greeting Madam Pince brightly and the woman merely rolls her eyes.

Avalyn sighs, strolling down the aisles of the seemingly endless shelves, her finger trailing along the spines of the perfectly organised books. She loves coming to the library early, it's almost always empty and it's easier to find the books she wants. And she just enjoys that nobody else is around, because reading around other people is simply inconvenient.

There's been talk of a prophecy that the divination teacher — Professor Garnet — had told almost everyone in her classes about. That this year in Hogwarts, the school will suffer great loss and something other than students and teachers is roaming the castle as they speak. A dangerous something.

The fear of the unknown made most students call the woman crazy and move along with their lives, but Avalyn believes her to an extent. It's in the air, like a feeling. A feeling of darkness and death.

Phoebe and Aaron had simply rolled their eyes and told her that she shouldn't believe a word that comes out of that mad woman's thin lips, yet Avalyn can't help but taste the lingering dread that's already hanging in the tense air at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The Myths and Legends of Hogwarts

That's exactly the book she wants. So, she gently slips it from between the thick books either side of it and sits on the desk that's closet.

The book makes a small thud as she places it on the mahogany and gently opens the delicate pages to the contents page. She moves her finger down the page numbers before stopping at one that springs out at her.

The Legend of Salazar Slytherin's Chamber of Secrets

Thinking to herself for a moment, Avalyn finds it quite interesting and it may actually help her figure out what's going on. So, she flips to page 45 in the book and folds her arms on the edge of her table as she reads over some of the notes on the subject.

Apparently, Slytherin had been enraged by the other founder's refusal of his request to make the population of the school for magic more selective. And by that, it means that onto pure-bloods will be able to attend, no half-bloods or muggle-borns.

He had built a chamber in the school that only his true heir will be able to open and unleash havoc on the school, ridding it of all impure magical blood.