New Start - Part 1

Start from the beginning

Knowing he couldn't shift yet I reluctantly shifted into my wolf, the first time in ten years, and he climbed on top of me. I raced as fast as my weak legs could take me, but the effort of carrying him and running was already becoming too much.

Suddenly, we were surrounded by a group of wolves growling and snarling. In the bright moonlight, I could see how sharp their fangs were. Instantly I saw my death and welcomed it. The little boy jumped down and stood in front of me as though he could stop their attack.

My weak body shifted back and I collapsed. I was vaguely aware of Harry calling my name and asking someone else for help. Then I was being carried in a pair of strong, warm arms. For the first time in ten years, I felt safe, a feeling that I knew better than to accept.

---

"How is this possible?"

A deep, husky voice filled my ears pulling me from the best sleep I have had in ten years. I was vaguely aware of a soft mattress and pillow underneath me. For a moment I was confused. My hands gingerly moved around expecting it to be a dream and to feel the hard, moist mattress that has been my bed since I was thirteen. Instead, I felt the soft fabrics and smelt the clean cloth. My head and limbs ached as I slowly opened my eyes but instantly closed them again. The room was too bright.

'Am I dead?' I thought as I tried to open my eyes again, slower this time. Once accustomed to the light I looked around. I was in a bedroom. From the toys scattered on the floor, I assumed it was a child's.

'Why am I in a child's room?' Then the events from before came back. The young boy, Harry, the escape and then collapsing once we are surrounded by lots of wolves. Slowly I sat up and instantly heard a rush of feet.

"Daniel! You're awake," Harry's bright face came into view as he attempted to help me sit up. He arranged the pillows so I could lean back on them. My body was already tired from the effort of moving. I had no idea how I would manage to escape if my body was already giving up from just moving a little.

I gave the small boy a nod and smile. He climbed on the bed and moved to sit next to me. His smile was infectious and I found my small smile widening. His brown eyes twinkled with happiness and I became instantly glad of what I did. Who knows what my father or brothers would have done to dim this little boy's light.

"Where am I?" I asked him, my voice a little hoarse. Suddenly, a small glass of water was pushed in front of my face. Startled, I stared up into the face of a young-looking woman who had a friendly smile on her face.

"Drink this, you had a lot of nightmares in the three days you've been out."

"Three days!" I all but shouted.

She nodded and placed the glass closer to my mouth. With her help, I was able to drink the freshest and cleanest water I had ever had. I gladly gulped it down and groaned at the taste. She chuckled as I eyed the empty glass as if I expected it to magically refill.

"Would you like another?" she asked, I nodded eagerly.

"I'll go get a big jug," Harry shouted before racing off the bed and out the door. The woman chuckled at him whilst I just smiled. She then turned her attention back to me, her smile had lessened.

"Now that he's gone can you tell me how and why you helped him? All he would say when we found you was that he saved you, and your name."

I nodded and tried to move again but winched in pain. A sudden sound from the other side of the room had me jumping in shock. A formidable-looking man stood leaning against the wall. His thick, muscular arms were crossed over his chest and his steel, cold eyes glared at me. I should have felt scared or nervous but I didn't. His deep, brown eyes pulled me in and I couldn't do anything to look away. My breath froze in my lungs as my heart hammered away. His eyes are pulled from mine to look back at the woman. That small break allowed me to regain some self-control and I blushed. The woman was looking back and forth between us with a knowing look.