Second Chances - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Wh...what are you g...go..gonna do with me?"

The fear I could see and smell startled me. It made me wonder what he's been through to make him so scared. Quickly, I rushed to his side which in hindsight might not have been the best thing to do. However, before I could assure him he wasn't in any danger, he curled into a ball and started whimpering.

Slowly I stroked his back, his hair any place I could reach.

"Cub! Cub!" I called. "Alec!"

He eventually stopped shaking and lifted his head up slightly to look at me. His eyes were guarded like he was waiting for whatever I was going to do.

"Alec, you are safe here. No one in this pack will hurt you," I told him. "I promise you I won't let them."

He slowly unfurled himself. I kept my hands on him and if it wasn't for the look of pure fear in his eyes I might have registered the softness of his skin.

"You will when you find out that...." he started but I knew what he was going to say.

"That you're an omega. Yeah, we already know. My brother Wes is our pack alpha and he has told everyone about you. We all know and no one wants you dead," I told him.

His wide eyes and open mouth told me he hadn't expected us to know.

"How .....?" he asked.

I finally took my hands off of him and rubbed the back of my neck. My eyes avoided his as the guilt welled up in me.

"Well?" he asked.

"Well.... I was running in the forest and I found you on our lands. Well, then I..I..." I couldn't finish it.

How will I get him to believe that he is safe after being the one that attacked him?

"You were the wolf that attacked me, weren't you?" he asked, guessing what I was reluctant to say.

I nodded, still avoiding his eyes.

"Why? Was it because you could see I was an omega? if none of you care about that then why did you attack me?" he asked.

I sighed as I stood up and started to pace. Since he has been unconscious it's given me a chance to think about why I had been out there in the first place. Though I was still angry and hurt, it wasn't as bad as before. It was almost like my guilt for hurting this man overrode what I felt because of her betrayal.

"I had gone for a run to work off some anger. A woman I had loved for years, someone that I planned to mate with, choose someone else. We had known each other for years and I had always had feelings for her. Over the past year, we started talking about mating."

The pain started to return but without the anger this time.

"She always talked about my faults and about me being the better leader for the pack, not Wes. I never took her seriously. Then a few days ago, when I asked her if we could finally become mates, she told me that she had chosen someone else. He is the alpha of another pack. When I asked her about us she just said she would never choose to be with a beta. As if being a beta is so wrong," I was yelling by the end.

My pacing stopped and I was looking out of the window as I unclenched my fists. A slight sting shot across my palms from where my nails had bit into the skin. My head slunk down with a sigh as my heart felt heavy.

"She left just like that. I thought she loved me or at least had feelings for me. However, after she left I found out that she had tried to seduce Wes, whilst we had been discussing mating. Wes is unmated so I am sure she thought she could just pick and choose between us. He told her no and to leave if she wasn't serious about me. So she left."