Second Chances - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"What! Why!" I yelled.

He turned to me with a calm and cool look on his face and simply said.

"Because I said so."

Reluctantly, I picked him up. His limp body felt too light in my arms. As I carried him I noticed his skin felt cold. Wolves always run hot, so why was he so cold?

I was ordered to put him in my room. When I demanded to know why he just said the same thing as before.

'Because I said so.'

My brother was a real ass sometimes.

Anyway, I did as instructed and then left for the healer to see him. I waited outside with my brother. Not because I wanted to but because he told me to. Why should I care about a stranger on our lands?

The healer eventually called for us to come back in. The stranger had been cleaned up and bandaged up. His skin was still pale but it looked better than before. His hair was wet slightly but I could still see and smell the blood residue.

"From what I can tell his injuries are mostly not from the attack," she said, giving me a glare. "He has either been attacked or got into fights regularly or he has been tortured. My money is on torture. He is too weak and malnourished."

She placed a soft hand on his face and frowned.

"Cole, did you notice anything strange when you found him? Or when you carried him?" she asked me.

"Well, when I approached him he stirred a little but didn't move much more until I pounced. When I carried him he was very light and very cold," I told her.

A stab of guilt rushed through me like a knife. Had I attacked someone who was too weak to fight back properly? No! He fought back so he had been fine. I told myself but it didn't ease the guilty feeling.

"Will he be ok Mai?" my brother asked, concern etched in his face.

Mai looked at the stranger with a strange expression before turning back to us.

"Honestly I'm not sure, he's very weak, Alpha," she said.

My memories of the attack flashed through my mind as a worrying feeling joined my guilty side. As I recalled the memory something else struck me.

"Wait, I remember something else. Something I found strange at the time but only for a second," I started.

"What was it?" Mai asked.

"His wolf was half my size, which is strange for a male but he was also pure white."

Mai's gasp had us both looking confused. Especially when it quickly turned to happiness.

"Really?" she jumped up and down excitedly. "He was pure white? No dark spots?"

I nodded and she squealed. We shared a look before looking back at the older woman. Her wrinkled face now looked young and vibrant. Where she had frown lines and tired eyes now were smooth and fresh.

"What?" I demanded.

"If what you said is true then this could be a male omega," she told us.

As children we had learnt about omega's but not about male ones.

"He can't be an omega, they are always female," I told her like she had gone crazy.

"You weren't told everything young man. Your parents, God rest their souls, were good people but they were narrow-minded. It was how they were taught. Male Omegas are rare but they do exist. They believed that male omegas would bring bad omens to the pack, potentially even death."