JJ Maybank | Kindred Spirits

JJ Maybank x Reader: Reader is Rafe's girlfriend, but all is not well in their daytime facade of domestic bliss.

Warnings: domestic abuse, blood, drug use/abuse, physical violence

Word Count: 3.6k

_____

The light streaming into the bedroom was what woke you up, an uncaring ray settling right at your closed eyes, blinding you even in sleep. Turning over, you were met with an empty bed, covers thrown open as if he jumped out and left without a single glance back. As usual. It's been a while since Rafe stayed in bed with you until the morning. As soon as his eyes opened he was gone, needing another line of coke like a stranded sailor needed fresh water. Then of course, once the powder was in his system, he couldn't sit still and left the room in search of anything to keep his jittering self occupied – sleeping girlfriend left buried and forgotten under the covers.

The doors to the veranda were wide open, white curtains billowing like sails and letting in the breeze that still wound its way through the shade of the Figure Eight. You could hear voices down below; Rafe, Kelce, and Topper doing god knows what. The breeze curled around your naked body, the cool a welcome feeling after being pissed off at being left alone yet again. You pulled on one of Rafe's button ups and a pair of his boxers, you didn't know where your clothes from yesterday were and you weren't about to go through the house in search of them. The nightstand still had a light dusting of white powder, an almost empty baggie laying next to it. Your boyfriend's other lover. Apparently one that held priority over you. Not that you haven't done it too, in fact you've done it with him. But where you enjoy some every once in a while – at a party or the like – Rafe was completely lost in it, clinging onto it to ignore his real and perceived problems. And god forbid anyone get between him and his powder. You rubbed at your forearm, a phantom pain where the bruise had already healed.

A knock sounded from the door.

"Hey Y/N, we have breakfast downstairs!" Wheezie called through the door. "Come down before it's all gone."

"Okay, thanks Wheeze, give me a sec!" Only once her footsteps retreated back down the stairs did you open the door, glancing at the nightstand one last time before shutting it behind you.

All the doors to the backyard in the dining room were open and your friends were milling around the table, filling their plates with the food spread throughout the table. Eating at the Cameron house, especially when Ward and Rose were out of town, was like the best buffet you'd ever had. You didn't usually get hungry right as you woke up but even your usual morning nausea couldn't resist the smell of scrambled eggs and bacon, and of course the plastic to-go cups of coffee from the best coffee shop this side of the island. Hands landed on either side of your body as you were reaching for a cup, Rafe's head coming to rest on your shoulder.

"Good morning, beautiful." He kissed your cheek and a bit of warmth bloomed in your chest, despite your earlier anger at waking up alone yet again. "You sure you're hungry? Because, in that outfit, I just want to drag you back to my room." Teeth grazed your ear, nibbling on the lobe around your piercings.

"Ewwwwww Rafe, I'm trying to eat breakfast here." Wheezie whined and you couldn't help but let out a laugh.

Eventually everyone settled at the table, Rafe's hand landing on your thigh. "So, the boys and I were talking and I'm thinking of throwing a party tonight." Rafe said, and, upon seeing Wheezie start to open her mouth, continued. "No, you're not going to stay here Wheeze. You're going to sleepover at one of your friends' houses."

"Oh come on! No fair!"

"Sorry, you're just still a little too young to join us." Kelce looked, grinning. "But wait a couple years and if you age as well as Sarah then you might not even have to beg for an invite." His cackle was cut off by a shove from Topper, well deserved as you were about to kick him under the table.