But when I opened the door, I couldn’t help my cringe inwardly at my appearance.

“Hey, Midnight,” Jev said awkwardly. Despite the fact that he was bundled up in layers of jackets and coats, he looked good. When didn’t he? His eyes were gleaming brightly, his lips curled up in a lopsided smile. His hair looked good and I had to use every ounce of my self-control to refrain from running my fingers over it. He smelled good.

“H-hi, Jev,” I hoped he would think the small shiver I made when I said his name was from the harsh wind outside.  “Um… you’re here for K-Kanda, right?”

I bit down on my lip the second I said that.

“Yeah,” Jev said as I opened up the door to let him in. He relaxed visibly once he entered the room. It was seriously cold outside, but we had the heater on in the house most of the time.

“So, she should be down soon,” I murmured awkwardly, trying to make myself look more presentable, but when you’re in a shirt that says ‘moo, I’m a fish’ and some old sweatpants, you can’t really do much.

“You can take a seat… if you want to, that is,” I mumbled. “But if you don’t wanna, it’s okay. It’s not like I’m making you. It’d be weird to make someone sit and all…”

Jev let out a deep laugh and sat down, raising his hands up in mock surrender. I blushed and scolded myself mentally. What the hell, Midnight?

“I’ll sit, I’ll sit,” Jev laughed as he made himself at home. “You can sit too, if you want to, that is.” He teased. I could feel the heat spreading over my cheeks as I went over to take a seat. But before I could, I tripped over my laptop charger and let out a clumsy gasp before falling. Jev was beside me in a flash, catching me before I face planted.

“Whoa,” Jev had his lips right next to my ears, making me shiver unwillingly. “Be careful there. Don’t want a bruise on your pretty face now do we?”

Could he feel my heart? How fast it’s beating?

I looked up to meet his eyes and let out a breath. Being so close to him made me realize the little flecks of gold and blue in his mesmerizing green eyes. Jev seemed to blink, a little fazed, before frowning.

“Midnight…” He whispered, making me close my eyes in content. It had sounded so perfect, coming out of his lips.

“Okay, I’m done!” chirped Kanda’s voice. Startled, Jev dropped me.

Well, so much for not wanting a bruise.

---

I hugged my knees as I stared at the picture frame that sat on the corner of my table. It was a family photo. Aleixo, Kai and Kaleb were all grinning widely in their tuxes. Kanda was in her once favorite pink dress, smiling angelically beside dad. Agatha looked very sophisticated in her plain white gown and. Mom and Dad were both donned in beautiful, extravagant attires, even though I could tell they didn’t like it. But it was for the royal family photo, so I suppose it was a must.

But I… I looked out of place.

My black hair and all-too-pale (even for a vampire) skin contrasted with their comparatively tanned skin and light blond or brown hair. While they looked like they really did belong to a royal family, I looked cheap, with my blue gown and braided hair.

I looked like I didn’t belong in that picture. Whereas everyone else looked so elegant and beautiful, I looked like trash next to them.

It wasn’t a surprise they made a bet about me being adopted or not.

“Ed,” I suddenly said.

Yeah? He asked. I fidgeted uncomfortably.

“Do you… do you think I’m pretty?” I asked, my voice in a low, almost incoherent mumble.

I… Ed stammered.

“I understand if you say I don’t,” I said. “You know what, just forget about it.” 

There was a small pause. You’re beautiful, Midnight.

Maybe he was trying to make me feel better, trying to be a good friend.

But I believed him. I wanted to believe him.

There you go guys!

It's Friday already ad my term break will be ending in two more days :( So I may not be able to update as fast because I will very busy and I'm trying to put a lot of effort into my studies. I will try to update weekly. I hope that is okay with you all.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I enjoyed wriitng it too. I would love and appreciate feedback from you guys and a vote or two won't hurt ;) Okay, until next time, peeps!

Love,
kky_claud