"any ideas who that is?"

"we'll see. they'll travel through trost district tomorrow to find out." ezekiel shrugged, returning his attention back towards the newspaper as he read it by candle light.

it seemed as though i couldn't removed my fingernails from my mouth for chewing the entirety of the next day.

"ezekiel, any news?" the following lunch i would ask, to which he disregarded me.

it wasn't until later that evening, ezekiel finally received word from commander erwin.

"what do they say?" i questioned after him as he raced down the halls.

"would you give me two seconds!" he snapped back, turning to face me with an annoyed expression.

he began towards the last room in the right wing, that being his office. he unlocked it hastily, entering to which i followed behind him. he began scanning paperwork and books he housed on his many bookcases, until he landed on a leather bound book filled with loose files.

"reeves...reeves...reeves." he muttered as he scanned all the papers, underneath his breathes.

"ah!" he exclaimed as he found the right page, removing it from the book and holding it up to the candle light. his eyebrows furrowed as he read the page.

"well, this is interesting." he spoke to himself, not towards my anticipation and worry some self.

"the people after historia and eren, reeves company." he directed his statement towards me, handing me the candle and sheet of paper. i read over the words, none of it of significance to me. he noticed my lack of understanding, and pointed to a box that read

previous run-ins: military police brigade. bribery including stock exchange, favourable doings exchange, forgery.

"they were involved with the military police brigade?" i questioned, looking towards ezekiel for answers.

"yes. the people after your friend are using reeves company as a middle man. the people that want her is the military police." he informed as though it was obvious.

"why? what could they want with her? and don't we work under them?" i attacked my commander with questions, much to his annoyance.

"we will found out once they question reeves company. and no, we are our own unit, we just cover all forces of the military."

"thank you, ezekiel. i know you have proper things to be doing at this time." i thanked him for easing my worries, or rather allowing me in on the intel.

"it's fine, but you're right, i do. now get out of my office." he ordered, causing me to laugh. i handed him his belongings and sauntered from the room, closing the door behind me.

a few days had passed since the planned heist in the trost district, which had caused the survey corps to lose insight on historia and erens whereabouts.

i needed no pleading to leave the compound to look for her, before ezekiel decided to intervene. levi had been interrupted by kenny ackerman, who after a gun fight in a saloon caused the unit to misplace themselves. it was however known, by the reeves company, that the military police planned on taking the pair to rod reiss.

"be quiet." i demanded towards anouk, who began stepping on twigs abruptly as though he was trying to blow our cover. levi had gathered information on the military brigade, to which both aidan and alora where sent to a separate hideout, whilst ezekiel scouted out another.

"sorry." anouk whispered, causing even more noise than before. i turned to face him whilst a distressed look disturbed my face. i continued walking backwards, until i hit something firm. i prayed it was a tree, but upon turning around and inspecting a light brown uniform, my heart rate fastened. however, the sight of a badly kept mullet eased me.

"jean? what the fuck are you doing her?" i whispered yelled, unintentionally as he had frightened me.

"me? what are you doing here! i'm trying to save my friends."

"i'm here to save your ass!"

"i don't need saving, look!" jean pointed towards a stream amidst the forest. upon further inspection, two figures sat at the stream laughing.

"who is that?" i questioned, trying to get a better look.

"hitch and marlowe, from the military police brigade. they're low rank." he informed, making me look at him with wide eyes. i hugged his neck thoroughly, taking him by surprised.

"jean, you genius! anouk, you stay here and guard. jean, copy me and do as i say." i commanded, to which he nodded still in ecstasy from previous moments. i began trailing slowly towards the pair by the stream, occasionally taking solitude behind a tree. i looked a jean and gestured towards his belt where a revolver was poking out. he looked down and grabbed it, nodding towards me.

i emerged from the tree, behind the two oblivious low ranks. jean hoisted his gun behind marlowes head, whilst mine raised slyly behind hitch's back. i released the latch, causing the two to turn around startled.

"drop your weapons." with my words, the two threw the daggers they held into the stream with wide eyes.

"and the gun." i pointed my gun towards hitch's hip, however grabbed the pistol from her waist before she got the chance.

"what do you want?" marlowe inquired after a loud gulp, eyeing the gun jean held beside him.

"i need you to be honest. do you think you can do that?" the pair nodded in unison, unprepared for a scenario like this.

"where is historia and eren?"

"in that cabin, 50 meters from here." marlowe tilted his heads towards the tree line. i cautiously twisted my head around and noticed a small wooden hut just as he had mention.

"good. now i need you two to do me a favour."

"of course, anything."

"let us in to get our friends. in return, we won't hurt you, understand?" the two frantically nodded in response to my words.

before i could lead the two towards the cabin, i saw how jean moved from beside me, seemingly stepping back. words could not leave my mouth before i heard the aching words

"i'm sorry, y/n."

with that, a sharp pain on the back of my head caused me to collapse, falling harshly onto the forest floor.