a week after my encounter with historia, her mother was found dead in the middle of the road just before our house. historia never told me how it happened, only that she witnessed it. just a few days after, a man of the name rod reiss arrived to collect historia, to take her away from me.

"i cant leave without her!" historia cried, her eyes shut however the water still dropped heavily down her cheeks. the man stared aimlessly down at her. i sauntered over to the girl, taking one of her hands in mine to comfort her to which she turned her head, piercing blue eyes staring into mine.

"y/n please tell him." historia pleaded, praying to change the situation. i looked at her weakly, knowing this was not my choice.

"historia, can we talk?" the man ordered her to follow him, in which she did. they both stood brittle, underneath a black umbrella shielding them from the pouring rain. watching them from the distance, i noticed how historia broke eye contact and began fixating on the fields ahead of her, refusing to meet his eyes. eventually, historia nodded towards the man, a couple of times before they advanced back towards the doorway.

"y/n, you're happy to leave with historia?" the man questioned, however i winced as he placed a hand atop her head.

"i go wherever she goes, sir." with my response he nodded firmly, then commanded us to pack a single bag of items we must carry.

that night was where my life course diverted. historia and i traveled to the neighbouring fields of trost where we began in training corps to become military as historia wanted. thereafter, we heard talk of a titan inside the wall, however not hostile. training commenced to military training, where we met ymir. despite my protectiveness of historia, ymir took a distinct liking to my historia which even my reluctance to let people near her worn off on ymir, and i began entrusting her. historia had yet to reveal her true identity to anyone at camp, going by the alias of krista. it was something the man ordered her to do once leaving the farmhouse, which i did not question.

it wasn't until after graduating the 104th corps, the dark glare on me and historia began. things began changing within the walls.

"y/n l/n" a loud male voice echoed through the thin walls of the cabin. due to it being the last night on the training camps, all the students gained barely any slumber. the voice awoke me with a startle. perhaps i should have never followed the dark figure out onto the fields that morning.

"i'm sure you know of your heritage and how it comes to importance to us." the man finally spoke. even under the dull sunrise, i noticed how his shoulder length, slicked back hair and deeply embedded wrinkles made him intimidating.

"i don't know what you're talking about."

"adira l/n? is that your mother?" the mention of her made a lump form in my throat. i thought back the threatening feeling of tears building in my eyes. however, i nodded.

"she and your father were very powerful people. i need you to understand that if we continue."

"continue? with what?" my eyebrows furrowed together, a headache forming rapidly.

"you have been specifically selected to join the special operations unit for the military."

"and historia?" i questioned, averting my gaze back towards the cabin that had an ominous glow around it due to the sunrise behind.

"you'll have to leave her behind." he stated, causing a tear to finally fall.

"and if i refuse?"

"historia will die. not by us, but eventually. you are needed for survival."

that's how i left historia reiss behind.

ymir promised me the safety of the girl, promised to write twice a month to assure me of this. at first i was apprehensive, and then the words would ring in my ears to persuade me. historia will die.

i left the camp accordingly a week later, the journey inside of wall sina taking over half a day by carriage. we arrived in stohess by nightfall, the city near asleep apart from a few drunken men. however, we traversed through the restful city, into wall sina nearer the government and royalty district.

the carriage came to an abrupt halt, seemingly in the middle of nowhere albeit containing two or perhaps three shadows of large buildings in the distance.

"i'll leave you to your commander." the bald headed man, who i learned to be called darius zackly commander of the three branches, motioned towards a tall figure ahead of us. behind him, three more silhouettes.

"y/n l/n. i'm commander ezekiel." he greeted, raising his left hand for me to shake. i did so, and he instantly retracted his arms to fold them over his chest again.

"follow me." he ordered, turning towards the three soldiers behind him and advancing towards a large government building surrounded by fields.

inside of the mansion was barren, devoid of furniture and mostly smelt of damp and staleness.

"these are my men, your comrades." he gestured towards the three who seemed attached to his side.

a tall boy with shoulder length black hair was the first to step towards me, his name was aidan. followed by someone slightly shorter, with parted brown hair that seemed to cover his eyes partially; his name was anouk. finally, a woman as tall as aidan called alora - she had vibrant red hair that twisted in tight curls.

"well debrief tomorrow, for now have alora take you to your quarters." ezekiel commanded, removing his arms from his chests but quickly disappearing into the left corridor. his frame momentarily returned back into the doorway, glancing in- "and y/n, it's good to have you. goodnight." it was as though a minute smile appeared on his stoic face.

"good night commander." aidan, anouk and alora all spoke in unison, almost like clockwork.

alora guided me up the stairs; despite the buildings desolate manner and lack of care, it could have housed a rich noble family.

"i promise ezekiel isn't as hard as he seems, he's just very embedded in his work." alora assured me, which eased my built up tension by a fraction. i already missed historia an obscene amount.

"his work?" i questioned, trying to gain insight.

"y/n, do you know why you're here?" alora tilted her head in confusion. i shook my head.

"come." alora waved her hand as she continued down the corridor. once she reached a room, she pried it open causing the wooden door to create a unbearable noise. we both sat cross legged on a double bed in the far corner of the room.

"you are of the l/n family, yes?" alora queried.

"yes, how did you know?" i was starting to grow conscious of my family name and how many people found fascination in it.

"l/n is a very important blood line. for that reason, you've joined special ops to fight missions the survey corps cant. we're an elite group that is last in command with the military."

"i'm sorry, but i don't know what that has to do with me. i know nothing about my ancestry nor does it make me special."

"that's where you're wrong. your family are loyal fighters, maybe you just haven't seen it yet."

"i don't fight, alora."

"you will, and once you do..." she paused, gaining a large enough breath.

..."you'll fight as though your life depended on it."