First Year: Twelve

Remus' twelfth birthday fell on a Friday that year. Usually on Fridays after lessons James would force them all to go and watch the Gryffindor quidditch practice, and Remus would read quietly to himself. Sirius, however, had managed to convince James that he could miss just one practice – especially as he wasn't even on the team yet – and that Remus might actually want to do something different on his birthday.
He was woken early in the morning by his three dorm mates piling onto his bed, all shouting, "Happy Birthday, Lupin!" They didn't try to punch him, which meant that the day was already off to a head start as his best birthday ever.
At breakfast, James and Sirius marched ahead, pushing other students out of the way as they approached their usual seats, loudly announcing,
"Out of the way, please!" "Birthday boy coming through!" "Move along, nothing to see here!"
Remus wanted to hide under the table by the time they'd reached it. His three friends made a huge show of serving him his breakfast, rather than letting him get anything for himself. Peter poured his tea, James loaded up his plate while Sirius buttered his toast.
"Do you have to?" Remus groaned, horribly embarrassed. "Absolutely," James said.
"Definitely," Peter nodded,
"Unquestionably." Finished Sirius.
Remus shook his head, blushing hard and looking down at his food. When he had finished – which took a while, because he had been served double portions of almost everything – they all stood up, still grinning widely at him.
"What?!" He asked, twitching nervously. If they were going to do the birthday bumps, then he hoped it would be over with quickly. Perhaps there was a wizard version? He'd missed Sirius' birthday after all, he didn't know what to expect. Peter and James each put a hand on his shoulder, forcing him to sit down again. Sirius pulled a pitch pipe from his robes pocket and blew a long note. Remus squeezed his eyes shut. Oh no...
"Haaaaaaaaaahhh-ppy birthday to you!" The three boys bellowed at the tops of their voices, "Haaaah-ppy birthday to youuu! Haaaaah-ppy birthday dear Reeeeeeeeeee-mus!"

Now the rest of the hall joined in, and Remus covered his head with his hands, "Haaaaah-ppy birthdaaaaay toooooo youuuuuu!"
"Hip hip!" James yelled, standing on his chair,
"Hooray!" The Griffindors chorused back.
"At least that's over and done with," Remus muttered, his face burning as they finished cheering. Peter looked at him with pity,
"Sorry mate, but they're planning to do the same at lunch and dinner." ***
They still had to sit through Potions as their last lesson of the week – Remus had found that even when he did all of his homework and understood all of the texts he still had no natural talent for potion making. On top of that, it was a boring subject, and Slughorn began to bang on about the five key components of sleeping draughts Remus began to doze off himself.
Snape didn't bother him – actually, Snape hadn't so much as glanced in Remus' direction since the incident in the corridor. Lily flashed him a smile and wished him happy birthday, before rolling her huge emerald eyes as James and Sirius attempted to convince Slughorn not to give them any homework out of respect for the 'occasion'.
At dinner Remus endured what he hoped was his final round of 'happy birthday', which became the loudest yet, largely because Dumbledore was present and began conducting the entire school, bellowing at the top of his own voice. He also received a few cards – one from the whole of Gryffindor house, another from Matron along with a new pair of socks.
After dinner they sat in the common room and Sirius lugged down his heavy record player and put on Electric Warrior for the hundredth time since Christmas.
"I was dancing when I was twelve..."
At some point, a cake was produced, with red and gold Gryffindor icing, and twelve pink candles. When Remus cut it open (all the while encouraged to make a wish, but not able to think of one single thing he wanted) he was amazed to find that it was made up of four different flavours – a quarter chocolate, a quarter lemon drizzle, a quarter Victoria sponge and a quarter coffee and walnut.
"Like your toast." Sirius grinned, looking thrilled at the expression of surprise on Remus' face, "Thought you might get bored if it was all one flavour."
"Wow... thanks!"
"So what do you want to do for the rest of the evening?" James asked, "It still looks light enough if
you did want to go and watch the--"
"He doesn't, James! Bloody hell, you're going to have to start developing some other interests,
mate, you're getting boring."
"I don't mind if you want to go and watch the quidditch practice." Remus said, hurriedly, "You've already done plenty, honestly. Three songs in one day, what more could a twelve-year-old ask for?"