First Year: Christmas 1971

"Lupin, perhaps you can tell me – what are the transfigurative properties of lapis philosophorum?" McGonagall called out, towards the end of their lesson one day. She gave him a very pointed look – the last time she'd asked him a question in front of the class he had shrugged and looked away.
"Um..." Remus wracked his brain, "Well, I think that's the one that turns stuff into gold? If you use it right... and Cleopatra the Alchemist used it to turn lead into silver, I think."
"Correct." McGonagall sounded as if she was trying to mask her surprise. "Five points to Gryffindor. And another five for making the connection to Cleopatra the Alchemist – she's not mentioned in Transfiguration for Beginners, did you read that in your history text?"
Remus nodded, aware that everyone was looking at him.
"Well, excellent. Some of my third-year students are incapable of cross-referencing their studies like that, I'm pleased to see you taking such an interest." She addressed the class, "And we will begin discussing alchemy after Christmas. Which reminds me – with the holidays approaching, I'd like to ask any students planning to remain at Hogwarts over the break to let me know by the end of next week. Thank you, you're dismissed."
The class stood up to leave. A few people patted Remus on the back as they passed.
"Mr Lupin, if you have a moment?" McGonagall said, just as he was passing her desk. His stomach dropped. He'd gone two weeks without a detention from her; he should have known something was coming. He stood still, shoving his hands deep in his pockets and staring at his feet as the rest of the class filtered out.
Finally, the classroom empty, she walked over and shut the door (right in James' face) and turned back into the room.
"Well done today, Remus," McGonagall said, kindly, "You've really been doing well lately." He looked up at her, startled. She laughed,
"Don't look so surprised! I'm very impressed. Professor Slughorn and Professor Flitwick have said the same. I wanted a quick word with you about Christmas. I've spoken with Mrs Orwell—"
"Who?!"
"The lady who runs St Edmund's." "Oh, right, Matron."
"Quite. As you know, the full moon will occur twice in December – the second," (that was next week) "and the thirty-first. New Year's Eve. Mrs Orwell seems to be of the opinion that you would be better off remaining at Hogwarts over Christmas for this reason. I hope you aren't too disappointed."
Remus shrugged,
"I'm not fussed either way."
Professor McGonagall nodded, very seriously.

"I shall add your name to the list, then. I'll see you next week, Remus." ***
James invited Sirius and Remus to visit him over the break, knowing that neither of them were facing a particularly merry Christmas otherwise. Remus was forced to decline – even if he hadn't been incredibly shy about visiting James' home and meeting his parents, he was still legally in the care of St Edmund's local authority, and needed written permission from Matron to leave Hogwarts.
Sirius, who would have loved the opportunity to spend two weeks mucking about with James, racing their brooms and eating chocolate, also had to refuse. His family had made it quite clear that they did not approve of him visiting the Potter family under any circumstances.
"Bellatrix, that bitch, has been feeding my parents information." He explained, darkly, "Apparently, I've disgraced them enough already. If I go to yours then it'll only get worse. Sorry, mate."
Remus went to the edge of the grounds with the marauders all to wave them off on the last day of term.
"We'll send you owls!" James promised, "See if you can come up with our next plan of attack on Snape!"
Remus grinned and promised he would try. He hoped that the letters James sent would not be too long. He was the only Gryffindor first year staying behind for the break, and trudged a lonely path back up to the castle.
The next day he enjoyed lying in – something they were never allowed to do at St. Edmund's. He slept until ten o'clock, when Frank Longbottom poked his head around the door,
"Come on Lupin, you'll miss breakfast at this rate!"
Remus liked Frank – he had a broad, friendly face and an easy-going manner. He seemed altogether solid and dependable, like an older brother. He understood that Remus was used to being an outsider, and tried to include him wherever possible without pushing too hard.
After breakfast Frank disappeared to the owlery and Remus sat glumly in the common room, feeling the next two weeks stretch before him, empty and lonely. He considered a walk around the grounds, but it had started to rain heavily. He played a few of Sirius' records and flipped through a stack of magazines some fourth years had left behind, just looking at the pictures. They were mostly of pretty, glamorous witches and handsome wizards – he supposed it was a fashion mag.
The next few days passed in much the same way. Frank would get him up in the morning, he'd eat all his meals with the remaining Gryffindors in the Great Hall, but otherwise he was left to his own devices.
He was so bored at one point that he even thought about doing some of the homework he'd been set. He'd been trying to improve his handwriting, but it was almost impossible with the ridiculous feather quills they were provided. No one would answer him properly when he asked why they couldn't just use biro's. Even pencil might have been better. He actually did try to read for a while, but after attempting a paragraph from his herbology text gave up in frustration. He copied out a few of the diagrams instead – Remus didn't mind drawing; he liked the freedom of it.
Every day he walked around the castle for a few hours, with his map. The other boys had long