Chapter23||Hazel Eyes

Start from the beginning

"I missed you too. " I say lowly, rubbing the top of his head. Although still quite suspicious, I make my way upstairs and into my mother's room.

I step in and the smell of burnt cigarettes and liquor fills my nostrils.

Ugh.

Walking closer inside, I see the bed is a mess with my mother fast asleep under the covers. And another figure beside her, covered by the sheets.

Ew.

I roll my eyes and head over to the chair in the corner and rummage through her purse. I take three hundred and quickly tiptoe out of the room and make a dash for it downstairs.

I quietly scoop some kibble into patch's bowl and take a moment to just look at him one last time.

It's frightening to think that I may not center back here or even live to see him ever again.

I tear my eyes away from him before he can finish the kibble and then walk out.

I grabbed a cab and hopped in.

"Young lady! " I hear my mother say. I looked through the window as the car drove off to see her huffing furiously in the front door.

Not today, mother, not today.

I smile at the small victory and plug in my earphones for the rest of the ride.

Moments later, I am in front of a huge, glossy glass building with scarce stone structures supporting it. Above the entrance sat huge white painted letters that read 'Chester County Airport'.

I take a deep breath in and advance into the building. It wasn't very crowded inside which I thanked God for.

"Thanks." I collected my plane ticket over the check-in counter.  Taking a glance at the departures, I noticed that the flight I planned to be on had been canceled. And the next flight will be boarding in two hours.

Great.

I sighed, taking a seat on the cold, hard airport chairs. I twirled the ends of my ponytail, trying to think about why Markov would do that.

It must've been a power move. Or it could've been to draw out Jacob so he could have him personally. To do whatever he wanted with him.

If that were the case then, this guy is not as simple as I'd initially thought.

"Grandma! Grandma! gimme the pretty ones," I hear a small child's voice snapping me out of my thoughts.

I looked up to see a short dark-skinned little girl, with a full head of curly locks and a big grin on her face. I watched as her tiny fingers reached for something. In front she stood a slender, aged, light-skinned lady, smiling down at her as she handed her a handful of flowers.

Sunflowers.

I took a shaky breath in as I continued to watch the two. Finding myself to be oddly reminiscent.  I watched as the old lady knelt in front of her, briefly fixing the little girl's red and white polka dot dress. She seemed as if she were softly scolding her for being so loud, but then she patted her on the head, stood up, and held her little hand in hers.

And they walked off.

I wiped the fresh tears that were suddenly streaming down my face.

I wish my Grandmother was here. She'd give me sunflowers too.

I remembered every time my mother used to get angry at me and hit me, and my father was never really around much. But, my grandmother would always be there for me to cheer me up.