---

How long Mirabel ran, she had no idea. It was dark by the time she stopped. Her tears had dried long ago, and now, as she stopped, she began to wonder. Why had Boris let her go? He would have been rewarded handsomely for her return. What could he possibly gain from letting her go?

She wished she had seen his face. Maybe his expression would have given something away. As it was, the only memories she had to examine were filtered through tears and fright.

As she looked around, she realized she had no idea where she was. She was still in the forest, but with the darkness that had fallen she didn't know which way to go. She wasn't even sure which way she had come from anymore.

Panic began to settle in. She didn't want to spend the night in the forest. Who knew what dangers were out there? Stories she had read began flitting through her mind, setting her imagination alight. She began imagining creatures in the shadows, eyes glowing in the dark.

She shook her head. No. She needed to keep her head on straight. She needed to figure out what she was going to do next. Which way should she go? Which way would lead her out of the forest? She turned in circles, hoping to recognize something.

Maybe she shouldn't have run. Maybe it would have been better to be taken back to the castle. It was less dangerous there. Or at least, dangerous in a different way. At least there she had known her enemy.

A different thought entered her head. What time was it? It had been barely sunset when she left the castle. Now beams of moonlight shone through the dense treetops, casting meager amounts of light in the shadows. She looked up, following the beams. The moon was bright, full and round overhead.

Mirabel had a sudden thought. She had read of heroes who followed the sun; why not follow the moon?

Looking up again, she made her best guess as to which direction the moon was in. Left? She should go left. Or maybe it was right. She groaned to herself; the moon was too directly overhead for her to tell.

She turned again. She knew she was only making herself more disoriented, but she hoped to find some trace of her previous path. There were men in her father’s army that could track a deer simply by the broken branches it left in it’s wake. In her terrified flight, she was sure to have left some evidence behind.

A sound behind her startled her and she jumped. She whirled around, worried there were indeed creatures in these woods. But there was nothing there. She surveyed the shadows slowly, but could see nothing. Shaking her head, she decided that she was beginning to hallucinate from exhaustion. She needed sleep. Her body felt like a ragdoll and her eyelids wanted so badly to close out the horrors of the world around her. She had pushed herself too hard.

A yawn escaped her. Maybe she should just sleep. She deserved that much, didn’t she? And surely the woods couldn’t be that dangerous. There were only trees, after all. She had seen  nothing dangerous yet. She could take a short nap, maybe sleep for an hour or two. Yes, that sounded right. A nap would fix all of her problems. It wasn’t as if she was functioning well enough to find her way out of the woods right now anyway.

Her eyes drifted shut as she sank to the forest floor. She would worry about her troubles tomorrow. She had done enough for today. Now she just needed to… sleep.

---

Shafts of moonlight made their way through the treetops, illuminating the sleeping princess. Her hair shone silver in its light, giving the same striking effect Boris had noticed on that first night. It was an entrancing effect. He averted his eyes, and instead concentrated on the careful placement of his feet. He was unsure how sound her sleep was, and he did not wish to wake her by accident.

It had taken all of his limited tracking skills to follow her in her mad dash through the woods. He had to follow at a far enough distance that she would never notice him, while still assuring that he could find her. He wondered to himself again why he was doing this. After all the work he had put into kidnapping her the first time, why do this? It made no sense, not really. But as he drew closer, the peaceful look on her face reminded him exactly why. He gained no profit from a war. He had gained no profit from this entire adventure. In fact, he doubted he would gain any profit from this, either. But if he wanted his revenge, he could at least do it in a way that would harm no one but him. And especially not her.

---

A/N Hey guys! Not much to say, but I did want to point out the picture on the side (or top now, I guess) of this chapter. It's a drawing I did of Mirabel recently, and I kind of liked it, so I thought I'd share :) Anywho, hope you liked the chapter! If you did, please comment and/or leave a vote. What do you think of Boris in this chapter? I'm having a lot of fun with his character :D

P.S. I don't know what's up with the formatting here... I tried fixing it, but it's not working. So I'm sorry if the formatting looks really weird and stuff, it's not my fault >.<