Chapter Eight

Mera ran up the hill, to where her husband was, only see him be impaled by Azog's blade, right through his chest.

Mera could hear the breaking of his ribs as her own heart shattered. She had little hope as she watched her husband stab Azog in the chest straight back. She immediately ran over to him and caught him as he fell.

"Hey, hey. I'm right here. Please, hold on." Mera whispered into her husband's ear as tears streamed down both their faces. Bilbo came running up to them and sat on Thorin's other side, opposite to Mera, they both were trying to get him to look at the eagles- the same eagles that had saved their lives before. Thorin slowly lifted his hand and tucked a stand of Mera's blonde hair behind her ear.

"I love you, Mera." Thorin whispered, Mera kissed him one last time.

"I love you too, Thorin."

Bilbo and Mera stayed by Thorin's side until he drew his last breath. Bilbo gave Mera a tight, loving embrace before giving her some space.

The other dwarves began to crowd, Balin was almost at Mera when a goblin arrow came out of nowhere and struck Mera, right through her heart. She didn't scream. She didn't make any sort of noise.

She looked at Balin, with tears in her eyes as she gasped for air- then her eyes rolled back and she fell down by her husband's side, still holding his hand.

That was the last time anyone ever saw Mera and Thorin Oakenshield.
~~~

Legolas smiled in victory as he watched Bolg fall to the ground before getting crushed by stone. He then turned around to find Tauriel, only then realising his friend had gone.

"Tauriel?"

"Legolas!"

Legolas turned and ran towards the redhead's voice, her voice sounded panicky. He paused at the sight.

He didn't know what he was expecting but it wasn't Arcturus leant against the stone wall, three arrows in his leg, shoulder and stomach. And not far away, two dwarves lay dead in a puddle of their own blood.

"Arcturus.." Legolas breathed out, coming to kneel down in front of his friend. Arcturus slowly rolled his head to the side to look at his other friend.

"Your eyes remind me of Remi." He muttered, calmly, Legolas smiled sadly. Arcturus looked up at the two that were leaning over him, he gave them a smile as he allowed his head to relax against the stone.

"You're not dying on me." Legolas fought the urge to cry as he took out a small dagger from his belt and ripped Arcturus's tunic around the arrow that was embedded into his shoulder. He carefully cut alongside the arrow, making sure not to damage any more than he needed to in order to get the arrow out safely. Tauriel had pulled some Athelas from her pouch; ready for the poison-infected wounds.

After a while, Legolas and Tauriel had managed to get all three arrows out and Legolas held down his brunette friend while Tauriel healed them with the Athelas to get the poison out of his system.

Arcturus rested his head on Legolas' shoulder, his entire body felt uncomfortably numb. He looked at his two friends and smiled sadly, it was his way of thanking them, his throat was too sore to properly speak in that moment.

Arcturus shooed Tauriel away so she can go back to her dwarvish friends while Legolas helped him up and moved him towards his horse.

"I shall meet you in Dale." Arcturus spoke, tiredly before moving his horse forward until he was in a flat out gallop.

Legolas watched him descend, making sure he didn't fall off his horse before turning around and leaving.