sixteen.

chapter sixteen

[ season 2 | episode 8 ][ raving ]

[ raving ]

               SHE'D NEVER BEEN TO A RAVE. In fact, Marley figured a rave was the worst place for someone like her to go. She was terrified of loud noises, had a near breakdown anytime someone would venture too close, and was what some people would call 'anti-social'. 

Had she been raised normally, without all of the trauma, she could see herself growing fond of the events, though. That crowd, every single person hyped over some music with floor-shaking bass and the adrenaline that could be gained simply from the mass. The herd of teenagers near the DJ booth, each one rubbing against strangers and forgetting every rule they'd ever followed.

The sense of freedom was what intrigued her the most, though. The knowledge that nobody would remember her face, giving her the opportunity to be whoever she pleased for the night. To just slide a mask over her identity and play make believe for a single night. That was what she wanted the most.

So, sitting comfortably in the back of Stiles' jeep, with her eyes staring through the window and at the forest of trees, she let herself think about who she wanted to be tonight. She could be Marlowe, the uptight and burdened girl with an overwhelming fear of the world, or she could be whoever the hell else she decided. Carefree, seductive, fun. Whatever her little heart desired.

Yes, despite the fact that she knew her anxiety would be at an all time high during the rave, especially considering the situation, she did feel a bit of excitement. She knew she would have a difficult time trying to calm herself, but she also knew that the person she would be tonight was going to be the girl that she'd always wanted to be. And yes, despite the fact that this girl wouldn't be her true self, she decided she would appreciate this second identity for the night.

They wouldn't be headed to the actual party until after the sun made its full descent and darkness had taken over the skies, leaving nearly half the day left for them to prepare. As soon as the bell signaling the end of school rang, the trio had piled into Roscoe, taking their signature seats before Stiles tore off towards Scott's work.

With her legs spread across his back seat and her back leaning against one of the doors, she picked at the dirt beneath her nails. As she busied herself with her nails, she figured that neither of the boys were thinking about it as much as she did. She figured they were focused on the whole kanima portion, not the social parts.

"Tonight is the night." She shifted, her head nodding as Stiles broke through the peaceful silence. She could hear his shaky intake of breath, accompanied by his thumbs tapping on the Jeep's leather wheel, as he swerved his car along a sharp turn. She'd gotten more used to his reckless driving.