❆Second Chance (21)

Start from the beginning

"Wait, so that means. . ." I narrow my eyes, trying to understand. "What about his partner, that Emerald lady?"

Lily shrugs. "They are getting a divorce."

"I'm sorry about your dad having cancer. . ." I let out, biting down on my lip. "If you don't mind me asking, what was your decision? I mean, are you going to. . .you know. . ."

Lily shrugs, removing her hands from mine and biting down on her nails, "I-I think I'm going to take over his company," she looks down. "I'm sorry, I just. . ."

I can't help but sigh, running a hand over my face. I keep forgetting to shave. "it's okay, I understand. He's your father and I know you're thinking about what your mom would do."

"I'm really not thinking about my mom right now, Jack."

I mentally slapped myself for being so stupid and bringing up her mom. "Sorry."

"I have to go, Jack. I need to have a talk with Mia." Lily mumbles, standing to her feet.

I stay seated.

"You're just going to leave?" I can't help but ask, clenching my hands. Why do I feel so weak all of a sudden? It's like I'm being rejected or something, again. I lean back in my seat. "Your father comes after many years just to ask you to take over this company and you're just going to leave?"

I can't help it. Everything just keeps tumbling out of my mouth. I can't keep it shut. There is just this nagging feeling in the back of my mind, telling me to fight for and with Lily. I just got her and now I'm slowly losing her. It's not fair. Yes, I'm being harsh but I can't help it right now.

"Jack, it's not like that. Please don't think of it like that. It's my decision." Lily begs, sitting back down on the edge of her seat.

I stare at her.

"Yes, what am I thinking!?" I laugh out, sitting up straight. "Yes, sweetheart, I'm sorry, it's your decision and it's your life, I shouldn't be interfering like this. After all, I mean nothing to you, I'm just the desperate guy from high school. I'm stupid for even thinking there would be something between us. The sparks I feel when I kiss you, it's one-sided. And I understand, you still think of me as the jock from high school. I'm sorry, Lily sweetheart, for interfering in your life like this. It's unfair toward you."

My mind is telling me to shut my mouth, to keept quiet before I ruin everything, but my heart just wants to be spilled. To let everything out. I am not trying to make Lily feel guilty of any sort. I was just thinking about myself and not how this would affect Lily.

On my side of our world, it's all about Lily and how much I have grown to still fall for Lily over and over again, not thinking about why she would fall for a guy like me.

I lost my dad and I changed. I lost the girl who meant more to me than I ever thought, in high school already. Yet here I am, still being so greedy and wanting everything. It stops right now, I don't deserve Lily.

"Jackson, why are you being so. . ." Lily's eyes are filled with images tears and my heart clenches at the thought of them shedding. Because of me. "Why would you think all of that? Why are you bringing all that up right now?"

"All this time you made me fall for you all the more, knowing you were going to leave."

Lily gasps, almost hurt. The way her eyes darken and fill all the more with tears. "Jackson I didn't know my dad was going to make his appearance. Why are you bringing this out on me?"

"I'm not bringing anything out on you, Lily. I'm blaming myself for falling for someone who will never like me back." I am stupid, is all I can say. "I didn't say you knew your dad was going to come and take you away from me."

"Then why are being so mean? Making me look like the bad guy. And who said I will never like you back? I already started falling for you in the span of a few weeks and I am not even ashamed of admitting it. I like you Jack, but this side of you, where you're acting so ignorant and rude, it's not working out. Call me when you come to your senses, I know this is not you actually talking to me like this."

Lily stands to her feet, spares me a glance before grabbing her bag and storming out of my office. I catch sight of her wiping her cheeks and I almost curse out aloud.

Why am I such an idiot?

Go after her, my heart urges, see what you done, my mind let's out.

I don't know what to do and by the time I'm by the bookstores entrance, Lily's car is vanished from my sight.

I lost her.

☃☃☃

'why you always gotta make such short chapters?!'

i know, im sorry, my bad🥺 the next chapter is going to be a bonus for my lack of worry.

hint: next chapter is Lily's pov where you all are definitely going to hate me.

*throws phone in the trash and praying to God you all don't hate me*

please vote, comment and if this is so far enjoyable, share! <3

byee.