Chapter Eleven: Movie Night

Start from the beginning

I walked back into my living room to see him standing there, watching as his breath fogged in the icy room, “I thought you said your house was hot?”

I smiled sheepishly and crossed my arms over my stomach, shrugging my shoulders. His eyes drifted down to my hands, zeroing in on my exposed skin, and my stomach warmed before I blushed and excused myself to change clothes. I walked quickly to my closet and dressed in a navy blue sweater and a pair of black leggings, and brushed my hair hurriedly to appear more presentable. I shut the window, then grabbed my phone from my bed and slipped it into my waistband as my feet padded back towards the living room.

As I entered, I saw Trace leaning against the dark beige wall near my flat screen television, gazing around my home’s open floor plan with interest. I stopped for a moment to take in how attractive he looked even when he was simply casual, his cheeks slightly red from the cold air around us, with one ankle crossed over the other as his green eyes moved to me.

“It should get warmer soon,” I said as I walked forward, acting as if I hadn’t been checking him out moments before. “Do you want anything to drink?”

I stepped into my kitchen, the granite counter top of the island separating us as he walked forward and pulled out a chair. He sat and rested his arms on the counter, clasping his hands in front of him as he watched me open a wooden cabinet and pull out two clear glasses. I turned and placed one on the island, looking up at him for an answer as I felt heat begin to blow from the vents.

“Water is good,” he said with a smile, and I almost dropped the glass as his white teeth glinted at me.

I twisted around and moved to my sink, hoping he hadn’t noticed my stumble as I turned on the filtered water handle to fill the glass. After shutting it off, I moved to my refrigerator and pulled out a carton of orange juice, and kicked it shut gently with my foot. I reached across the island and handed Trace the full glass, before turning my attention back to filling my own halfway with orange juice. As I put the carton away, a shrill ringing came from my phone, and I pulled it out to check the number. I didn’t recognize it, but answered anyway as I shot Trace a small smile.

“Hello?”

“Is this Layla?” I heard Jamie’s voice ask.

I twisted a piece of my hair absentmindedly through my fingers as I said, “Yeah. Who’s phone are you calling from?”

“Chance’s. Anyway, are you okay? Trace said he was going to go check on you, but he hasn’t come back yet.”

“He’s here,” Trace raised a curious eyebrow as I referred to him. “But Jay, I told you I was fine. You didn’t have to make him come over.”

“I know, I know,” she said. “But since you’re good, we should all go see a movie tonight. I’m craving popcorn and candy.”

“Jamie--.”

“Come on, Lay, we haven’t hung out in a while. It’s the weekend and we’re in college, we should go out and have fun.”

I groaned and let my head slump back, realizing there was no way I could get out of this. But I gave it one last shot as I said, “I don’t want to be a third wheel, Jay.”

Her voice sounded all too excited as she said, “You won’t, because Trace is coming too.”

I looked at him, a slight smirk making its way across my face. He looked back at me questioningly, sipping water from his glass, and I spoke back into the phone, “Fine. What time?”

“I’m not sure yet, but I’ll text you in a few minutes,” she chirped, and I could almost see her grinning on her side of the phone. “Bye, Lays.”