Welcome Buddy, Part 3

Start from the beginning

"As an asset," You argue.

"As a something," Lisbon shoots back. "It's a risk. One I'm not willing to take."

"Boss..." You clench your hands into fists at your sides. "Lisbon, please, just...let him prove he can help. I know he's in a funk. His wife and daughter died-"

"Months ago."

You shake your head sharply, "-doesn't matter. Loss never goes away. You just learn to handle it better day by day. He's waiting for his files. You promised him he'd get to see them. So how about you let him help us close this case, and then, he can read his files, and go home, and he's out of your way. How does that sound?"

The proposal hangs in the air. Lisbon furrows her brow and considers it in silence while you stand a foot away, watching in anticipation, hoping beyond hope that she says yes. If she let's Patrick stay, just to finish up the Annabeth Rylie case, that might give Patrick the opportunity to prove his worth. To make Lisbon see what you see. How bright he is. Not just in spirit, but mentally. He's got the genius your team could use. Besides, he's...he's cool. He's nice. Patrick makes you laugh, he says things you can't help but smile at and you wouldn't trade that for anything. You do have friends who show you a good time, but there's something about Patrick Jane that's unique.

He's special and you feel it in your bones.

"Ok," Lisbon surrenders, finally.

Immediately you break into an excited grin. "Thank you!"

"Just keep him reined in, ok? I don't need any loose ends running around."

"Yes Ma'am." You nod.

Lisbon steps out of the secret space behind the third interrogation room. The door swings shut. No sooner after she's left, a head peeks into the window.

It's Patrick.

You smile and wave, gesturing for him to come in.

Patrick tip toes into the room, studies the one way window another second and then faces you, his brows knitting together at the sight of you smiling so incessantly. "Did you win the lottery or..."

"She said you can help finish the case!" You exclaim. "And then you get to read the files, the uh, the Red John ones."

"What did you tell her?" Patrick asks suddenly. His eyes narrow and search yours, probing the depths of your (y/c/e) irises.

"What do you mean?"

"You must have said something to convince her."

For a brief moment of panic, you contemplate telling Patrick about the deal and about your desire for him to stay. To work alongside your team with the CBI as a consultant. But as you take in his messy curls and unbuttoned, tattered pinstripe shirt and jeans, you change your mind. Lying through your teeth, you reply. "I'm just persuasive. Besides, she can't just let you run wild after you've got so much information on an open investigation."

A light goes out in Patrick's eyes.

All the life in them seems to die.

Your breath snags in your throat, but the light is back before you can fully react. How strange, you think.

Patrick forces a smile. A very artificial smile. It makes your stomach ache.

Does he know you've lied?

He can't know that. I've got a solid poker face. A Cho-worthy poker face.

"Thank you, I want to help," Patrick's tone is warmer than his expression.