Welcome Buddy, Part 3

Summary:  Patrick Jane has been helping solve a case as he waits to see the Red John files. As you uncover the mystery behind this homicide, you hide Patrick's involvement. But now, back at the CBI offices, Lisbon finds out. Will she let him stay and finish the case? Can you convince her to let him be more than just a one time outside aid?

Warnings: Murder talk, per usual. Some mild swearing and angst with a pinch of fluff!

A/N: GUYS! WE ARE FINALLY IN SEASON 6 OF THE MENTALIST!!! Do you know how long I've been waiting for this day? It means MARCUS PIKE IS COMINGGGGG! I've been dying to see Pedro Pascal and Simon Baker in the same room on screen together! How could I ever choose between them? I love them both too much! AGH! But also... *SPOILER! SKIP TO THE ONE-SHOT IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED SEASON 6!* ....I know who Red John is! I had a gut feeling about who it was from the moment I saw him but I didn't know what the feeling meant! I'm so happy Jane killed him! Like...the shot of him strangling him and the thumping but all we see is Jane's face and the agony and strain and AGH! I cried so hard. We haven't watched any more since that episode so...I'm waiting to see what happens next. Ok. End rant! Onto the One-Shot!

~~~~

To say that Lisbon was angry would be wrong. She doesn't seem mad at you. More along the lines of irritated. If you're being honest, you did assure her you'd 'see Patrick out,' as in out of the building and out of the CBI's way. You did half of the job when you let him tag along on your drive to see Cara. But, here he is, hours later, fully entrenched in the case at hand. You can see why Lisbon is frustrated, but what you can't wrap your head around is why she wants to kick Patrick out! He's done nothing other than help the investigation. Sure, some of his comments are out of the blue and have yet to mean anything, but they're still valid! They've made your thought process easier. Not only that, his presence is...

Affirming.

Patrick Jane is a nice guy.

He's smart, he's funny, he's a bit out of his element, all things considered. I mean, he used to be a psychic; grade A stage performer with the usual TV charisma.

There's none of that now.

He's subdued, yet you sense he's still got more personality lurking beneath his trauma.

With time, perhaps he'll become even more helpful?

"What are you saying, (Y/L/N)?" Lisbon asks in exasperation. "You want this guy to hang around and become part of the team?"

"Maybe? I don't know!" You throw your hands up and cover your face. "I don't know, Boss, he's just...he's got potential...I know it."

Lisbon goes silent for a while. You massage your face momentarily, rubbing away the stress pulling on the muscles in your temples and forehead. When your head clears, you run your hands through your hand, mussing it up - though you could care less at this point - and let them rest at your sides. Lisbon does the opposite. Her arms are crossed over her chest. She's giving you the classic 'Lisbon glare' that you know and hate. It's ironic how a scowl so pouty and childish could be such a pain.

You raise a brow, playing it cool while you can. "What?"

"(Y/L/N)..." Lisbon begins, measuring her words with care. "I don't think it's good to keep him around."

"Oh really," You scoff, shaking your head. "Why's that?"

"Because, I think you might have feelings for him."

Your eyes blow up, as does your pride. "What?! Lisbon - Boss - I only met him today! I hardly think -"

Lisbon holds up a hand. "What you think is irrelevant, (Y/L/N), it's what I think that matters. You're soft on him. You like him."