15

| better memories |

KIM HAYOON

7 years later

that's right, kim sunwoo asked for my hand. three years ago when he had gotten down on one knee, it was one of the most beautiful moments in my life. even if he was clumsy when he lost the ring on his way to meet me, i still loved that day very much. good thing the boys were behind him when he made his way to where minju and i was. kim sunwoo was the sweetest husband, the most hardworking and the best father to our little family. we have fraternal twins - a mini sunwoo and a mini hayoon? this household could not get any more chaotic than it was.

-

these 3-year-olds were spoilt by their auntie minju and their other uncles, and especially by their very own father. he would pamper them with every toys and snacks they wanted. they knew the drill - whenever their mother said 'no', they would turn to my husband with their ever-so-cute faces making him melt.

"uncle juyeon!" this was another person who would die for my children. "siwoo! sunha! my precious little ones!" he cried out, holding out his arms for them to run into. i could see my toddlers scurrying his way with their tiny feet, giggling out loud when juyeon smothered them with pecks. "that's enough kisses for today!" sunwoo stopped them, being the easily-jealous baby he was. i could only roll my eyes at him when he pouted my way.

"we're here!" the familiar voices called out from outside. swinging the front door like it was their very own house were our chaotic friends. the usual bunch - eric, minju, kevin, chanhee and lastly, changmin - came to join us for new years' eve. "uncle minmin!" sunha hopped out of juyeon's embrace to greet changmin. the said male grinned widely before picking her up into his arms. "she's smitten by him," sunwoo scowled. "you know it's not serious. she's a kid," i smacked his arm causing him to chuckle.

"sunha! how about you play with minjae instead?" sunwoo pointed towards eric's and minju's 4-year-old son, who sat quietly next to his parents. "no!" the little girl huffed out, sticking to changmin. "i told you not to be stubborn, sunwoo. see, now she has it," i stuck out my tongue at him before making my way out to the living room where the rest of our friends tried to befriend siwoo again - keywords being 'tried' and 'again'.

"siwoo, want a beer?" kevin showed the child a can of beer.

"he's three, kevin! what do you mean beer?" chanhee smacked him lightly, taking away the can.

i could only chuckle at the sight. i decided to step out of the living room for a bit, retreating to our shared room. i let out a sigh, not out of exhaustion, but relief. a lot of things had happened between sunwoo and i. from strangers to friends; friends into lovers. of course, we could never forget all the hurt and pain we had gone through but he had always been the one to apologize first. i was beyond happy and i was also thankful.

the door creaked softly and a pair of arms wrapped themselves around my waist from behind. "what are you thinking of?" his same deep voice asked me. i could only smile as i turned around in his embrace to return the hug. "just everything - and how i am happy with you," i said, but it sounded muffled as i hid my face in his chest. his grip on my waist tightened slightly as he swayed us a little.

"thank you for picking me, hayoon," i heard him say while he rested his chin on top of my head. "i love you." it was the same three words i had heard from him all these years but each time he told me that he loved me, i felt the same warm and safe feeling. each time he said it, it still sounded special. we might have lost one another along the way but sunwoo was here to make better memories and to stay forever together - and that was everything to me.

-

our precious guests had already left. it was close to 1am meaning it was past the twins' bedtime. sunwoo had tucked them in their cribs, giving them goodnight kisses and doing his usual "as long as daddy is here, no monsters can hurt you."

he crept into our room as quietly as possible. "are they tucked in?" i asked, and he nodded quickly before climbing into bed with me. his arms wrapped around my waist to pull me closer as he stroked my hair. "goodnight, yoon," he pecked my forehead, before closing his eyes.

despite sunwoo saying he had tucked the twins in bed, the little patters of tiny footsteps made me jolt awake shortly after. i was right when the door swung open slowly to reveal the two innocent-looking toddlers. "how did you get out of bed?" i raised an eyebrow at my children as they took tiny steps to the bed. even sunwoo had woken up as he sat on the bed rubbing on his eyes.

"daddy sunwoo," siwoo called out as he reached out for him. yep, do not ask why our children call us this way. "how did daddy sunwoo and mummy hayoon meet?" sunha giggled as she clambered into sunwoo's lap.

"it all started with a kick," sunwoo grinned at his 3-year-olds before all three of them got engrossed into our very own dream-like fairytale.

{the end}

thank you for reading "it all started with a kick".