"Yeah, but maybe he's growing up a little?" Soda wanted to give Ponyboy some credit.

"Maybe. Just let me know if something happens."

"I will."

"Alright. I'm going to get going. Early days means early nights."

"Okay, sleep well."

"Love you little buddy."

"Love you too Superman." He hung up the phone and went out to the living room where Holly and Ponyboy were sitting on the sofa. "What are you two talking about?"

"Ponyboy has a crush."

"Do not!" His face turned bright red.

"It's a high school girl. A cheerleader."

"Oh? What's her name. Maybe I know her." Sodapop said.

"Cherry Valance." Ponyboy admitted.

"Oh wow..."

"I was telling Ponyboy he should ask her out."

"That's not a good idea," Soda said with a shake of his head. "She's in line to be the cheer captain. And she's got a boyfriend. Besides, Cherry Valance is really stuck up from what I've heard."

"Oh," Ponyboy's face fell a little but then he just turned to look at the TV and muttered, "that's fine. I didn't think I'd have a chance anyways. She's gonna be a Sophmore this year."

"I'm sorry Pony." Holly felt guilty she'd gotten his hopes up. She placed a hand on his shoulder, but he pulled away.

"I'm going to go find Johnny and hang out." He said, rising to his feet.

"Just remember to be back by ten-thirty." Sodapop told him.

"Yeah I will."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following day, the whole gang was over at the Curtis home and they were all hanging out. Steve brought over hotdogs for them to grill and enjoy for lunch. "There's a big party by the lake tonight, you gonna come?" Steve asked the guys.

"You know I'll be there man," Dally said as he grabbed a plate and made up three hotdogs for himself to start with.

"Same goes for me. I'd never miss a party." Two-Bit, who was pounding in the grass, said.

"What about you guys?" Steve looked at Soda, Johnny, and Ponyboy.

"Might as well," Johnny said. "What about you Pony?"

"Sounds -"

"We can't," Sodapop cut him off. "If I go to a party now, Darry will never trust me again. Last time was bad enough."

"But can't I go? I won't do anything bad."

"No. You know how Darry feels about us going to wild parties, let alone one that Shepard's gonna be running."

Ponyboy felt like arguing, but he didn't want to get scolded in front of the guys. So instead he just nodded and gave a quiet, "okay."

Soda, thinking that was the end of it, changed the conversation. "There's gonna be a drag race tomorrow evening after Steve and I get off. You guys interested?"

"Yeah. I got some money bet on that race. I'll definitely be there." Two-Bit said.

"I figured it would be a good time. Maybe you bums can find a pretty girl."

"Oh mister stud. With his college girl thinks he's all cool now." Steve punched the boy in the arm, but Soda just laughed and punched him back.

After lunch they spent the rest of the day running around town, just killing time and causing a normal amount of ruckus. They parted ways around five, and Ponyboy and Soda went home to make dinner. "I'll get the pork chops cooking. You think you can handle the Mac and cheese?"