Chapter 17 - Ruby

Start from the beginning

My answers are given when Laila pulls out the small ruby we saw earlier from her long sleeve. When did she stuff in there, I do not know but the merchant is probably aware of it now.

I can feel a great rush of fear wash over me as I stop on my tracks, eyes on Laila as she takes a couple of steps ahead before stopping and looking back to me. " Are you mad, Laila? " I hiss to her, resuming my steps and passing the bucket on my right to my left so I have one free hand to grab Laila. It's heavy for one hand to carry two buckets of water but somehow I manage. Probably because I'm too anxious.

I grab her arm, earning a wince from her and she stuffs the ruby into her pocket now. That's why she looked at the smallest one. I drag her forward, wanting to get home as soon as I can.

Laila tries to flinch away but I tighten my grip. " Why the rush? " she asks.

" Maybe you forget but Father was killed because they said he stole something, " I say, using the word ' killed ' instead of ' executed. '  " What do you think they will do when they catch you stealing rubies? They'll put your head on a damn spike, that's what they will do, " I speak in a hushed whisper, not wanting the other people to hear.

Realization seems to finally come to Laila as her violet eyes went wide and she quickens her pace to match mine and I let go of my grip. I look over my shoulder and catches the merchant's eye as he squeezes through people, shouting something I can't hear.

Sweat started to bead on my forehead despite the cold air as I push Laila to go further with my free hand. We push through the crowd, trying to lose the merchant. I can hear the merchant shouting for the guards now. He is getting closer, I thought.

I glance over my shoulder once more just to know where he is and I can see him. He is so close. His face is red with anger and no trace of lust from before can be seen.

" Faster, " I say to Laila. She is panting now and I curse under my breath. I should've known, she is short on energy and our house is still cannot be seen from here. Suddenly, I feel myself hitting a wall and I drop the buckets to the ground from the impact, spilling water everywhere. Laila seems to be the same. It took me a second to realize that it's not a wall but someone.

I look up from the dizzy and see two Valarian soldiers, each having a long sword at their waist, looking down at me and Laila. They look annoyed that some Outlander girls just spilled water on their fine bronze chest plate.

My mouth hurries to apologize but the merchant has already arrived. He instantly goes up to Laila and snatches her by her brown hair. " WHERE'S MY RUBY, YER WHORE?! " the thick accent ringing in my ear as Laila grabs the hand that's holding her hair, hoping for it go away.

" Do not touch my sister! " I shout. Fear and anger are tugging at my chest furiously. My heart is pounding so hard and loud, I'm afraid they would hear it.

The Valarian soldiers look at each other with their brows furrowing. " Let that girl go," one of the soldiers speaks up. The merchant still holds Laila's hair. He glares at her for a while before throwing her towards me.

Laila is on the verge of tears. Her hair is a mess from the merchant as she hides at my back, gripping the sides of my robe. She's a bit shorter than me, making it easier for her to be covered. I bite down my lip and feel the urge to pull out my dagger from my waist and cut the merchant to pieces. How dare he touch Laila. My sister. My twin sister.

There are a few people looking at us with weird stares but most of them keep walking by. I eye the merchant as if he is a deer I'm going to kill. The merchant is still glaring at Laila. " That little wench just stole my ruby, " the merchant says to the Valarian soldier.