Chapter 9

"You're going to get hypothermia Marlowe oh my god-" George shook his head disapprovingly as I kept throwing the water at him. I scoffed and jumped in again, submerging my head for a concerningly long time.

"Marlowe?" George asked in panic and swam over to me. The moment he got near me, I grabbed him and pulled him under water, bubbles escaping my mouth in laughter.

After a couple more seconds, I pulled him from underwater with me and spit out the water. He was a coughing fit next to me and glared at me weakly, "Don't-" he retched, "don't do that again..."

"You know you loved it." I coughed out, pounding my chest. He eventually got all the water out and crossed his arms. I rolled my eyes and pounced on him, tackling him until I was directly above him in the soft sand. I had his thin arms pinned behind my wrists and my sopping wet hair dripping water into his face.

"You know you love it." I repeated, breathing heavily, aware of how quiet the wind had gotten. It was as if Mother Nature had paused to observe the clear tension here.

George looked away and brushed me off, trying to dismiss anything that happened. If anything happened at all. "I think we should go, you're really wet and I'm freezing. Let's get you cleaned up." He quietly said.

I narrowed my eyebrows but got up and followed him, a little disappointed. I wanted to stay a little longer.

Once he gave me a towel in the trunk of his car (he really came prepared didn't he?) I hugged him goodnight.

"Thank you for this." I said, my teeth shattering but my gaze steady. He had stiffened earlier but now he relaxed and melted into my hold. "Like I said before, you're welcome."

I went back to my car wrapped in a baby pink towel with little flowers dotting the borders. Grabbing my keys in the little cup holder to my right, I inserted it and started up the engine, savoring the view of George leaning against his door in my rear view window as I drove away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do you have a pink towel George?" I ask, handing him the said item once he rolled down his window. He grabbed it and shrugged, "I don't know, you'd have to ask Clay."

"I can't exactly do that unless you bring him." I said but then I quickly added on, "Please don't bring him though."

George gave me a sly smirk, "And why do you not want that?"

I raised my eyebrows, "I'd appreciate it if our private place and shared experience remained private and shared with only us two. Also I don't think Clay would appreciate it if he finds that you've been spending time with a girl every day. I don't want him getting the wrong idea."

"That?"

"That I'm the reason you rejected him! Because that's obviously not true. But he wouldn't know better," I pointed out. George looked at me curiously before shaking his head. I wanted him to elaborate on that, but I dropped the topic once he stepped out from the seat.

"Well you can calm down, I wasn't going to bring him or Nick anyways." He reassured me, walking to the railing side by my right shoulder.

"Oh right! I forgot about Nick, how is he? Does he fancy you too?"

"Oh god, no. And fancy? I thought I was the British one here."

"I'm just speaking your language. British people are practically aliens, you guys don't understand what french fries are."

"They're chips!"

"Then what are chips?"

'Crisps!"

'What the hell?!" I ask, throwing my arms out. "One day, I'm going to take you to Martha's and we're going to pig out on french fries and burgers and I'll buy a side of chips too."

"And how exactly are you going to do that Miss Marlowe?" George put his hands on his hips. "I can guarantee Martha's is closed at this time."

"Well then when are you free?" I asked, mocking his position.

"Tomorrow... at 12:45." He said, snapping his fingers when he found an available time.

"How will I know if you're late?"

"Have I ever been late here?"

"No-"

"Then don't worry about it! I'll be sure to show up at Martha's tomorrow with a French fry consuming outfit." He nodded aggressively. I laughed and elbowed him.

"12:45 is it then?"

"12:45 it is."