Chapter 2

I was back again at the railing that keeps small children from falling into bigger rocks.

"Hi Miss Marlowe." A petite man I was familiar with stood next to me. I turned my head ever so slightly so my peripheral vision could catch him. I think he was wearing a black shirt with shorts.

"Mr. George, it is 40 degrees. It is the middle of the night while sea spray catches the wind and decorates my face. It is cold. Why are you wearing that?"

"I'm from London, I'm used to the cold." He shrugged and walked closer, mimicking me and putting his arms on the railing. I turned toward him, tilting my head slightly. Any questions I had got stuck in my throat. I realized that I could care less about the man.

I thought about what character development he had. The first time he had come, I froze, never having people join me in my late night detours. I didn't realize that someone else enjoyed the same things I did.

Turns out he didn't. He had asked me, Are you alright?

I nodded, raising a brow at his British accent.

Are you going to jump?

I shook my head, a little surprised he asked me. I didn't think someone I didn't know would even bother if I was actually contemplating doing so.

Well that's good. Do you need a ride?

I declined, I wasn't blunt and naive. I didn't trust him. He still stayed though, I'm going to join you. I don't think it's safe here.

I thought to myself that he was the only danger I had ever come across in the many days I had been here was him.

When I finally turned to my car to go back, he lingered for a bit before shouting out Wait!

I looked back.

Do you come here every night?

I didn't answer and drove away. When I came back the next night, as I had been doing so, I didn't see him. I breathed out a sigh of relief, thankful for the solitude I so desperately missed. But after two minutes that black Mercedes pulled up again.

The man climbed out and stood next to me, smiling at my presence. I let out a little sigh and turned back to the ocean. He was quiet for a couple seconds before running his mouth again.

So I'm guessing that was a yes? You DO come here every night?

I remained silent. Maybe if I shut up he would go away.

He didn't.

So are you from around here?

I'm from London.

Silence.

I like Miami but sometimes I miss it back there. I wonder if I'll go back.

It was as if he was having a conversation with himself. I didn't say anything but I couldn't help but to latch onto every word he said. I never had the best memory but I quickly began to know about this man.

You're probably not going to care, but my name's George. He said, with a smile on his face. It was a nice smile. It was full, took up his face. His eyes tilted upward, his nose scrunched ever so slightly, and his entire face brightened. I pressed my lips together but didn't say anything.

The next day, I went to the railing, not expecting Geroge to come again. Alas, it was too much to ask for, he came.

So, I take it you like it here?

And that you have a messed up sleep schedule like me?

I bit my lip to keep myself from letting out an answer. I prayed he didn't notice but a little Aha! Was heard from behind me. I know you want to say something! I'll get you to crack one day.

He did.

After a week of doing the same thing, he called me ocean girl when I was walking to my car. I had repeated, ocean girl? Since I was surprised he had called me that. He hadn't called me anything before.

I heard a little gasp when I opened my mouth. I looked back to see George's eyes wide open. He let out a little, I did it! and went back to his car with that wide smile stretched across his face.

Now here I was, having somewhat of a conversation with him.

"Do you want my jacket?" I asked him, peeling my eyes away from the crash of waves. The mere thought of someone in shorts in this weather gave me hypothermia. Not waiting for an answer, I took off the windbreaker and laid it across the portion of the railing that was in between our elbows.

"I'm not cold Marlowe," He grinned but took the jacket anyway, draping it over his shoulder and wiggling his fingers through the sleeves. "But I do feel significantly warmer."

"You should shop at Target then." I say shortly.

"Target?"

"Oh." I realized, knowing that there weren't any Targets in the UK. "Brit problems I guess."

George let out a little huff before pointing to the stars. "When I first came here, I thought you would stargaze."

I followed his finger up to the constellations. The light pollution didn't enable me to see as much of the sky as I wanted to but it was there. I traced the faint connection of Orion the hunter. I got to the left side of Orion when I bumped into George's finger. I immediately flinched but he tapped my wrist and asked, "Were you looking at the hunter?"

"I was, yeah." I nodded slowly, using his finger to finish my image. I then let go but instead of diverting my attention back to the sea, I continued to look up, never realizing how pretty the blanket above was. "Why?"

"Why what?" George was also looking up, hugging his arms to his chest.

"Why did you think I was stargazing?"

He paused for a little, as if trying to remember his thought process. "Well after you convinced me that you weren't going to jump, I thought that surely this girl must have driven all the way out here to look at the beauty one couldn't get during the day." He stopped again before continuing, "You can see the beauty of the ocean all-round but you can't look up and see the same sight you do now."

"You're wrong." I stated, bringing my gaze back to the water, as if not doing so would betray my opinion. "The ocean is different during the night."

"I know it is, the lack of people is nice. But the sky had always intrigued me. I didn't like water very much." he admitted, looking at me now.

"That's not why." I argued. I thought about how the water glistened only subtly under the moonlight, the best parts illuminated by a haze at this time. It wasn't blinding but bright enough for me. The steady and undisturbed crash of waves against clean sand was better than anything I had ever had the opportunity to experience. But instead of saying this, I just kept quiet.

"You're not going to tell me why?"

I shook my head and whispered, "Too tired." And he didn't say anything else for the next 15 minutes. When I turned to leave, he asked, "Do you want your jacket back Marlowe?"

I look at the white windbreaker for a moment before saying, "Keep it George. Come back next time to return it."

That was the third time I saw him go into his car with a smile.