Chapter 28: Nifflers and Sexualities

"How's Hermione?" Ron asks as he notices Ursa outside the greenhouse.

     "Still getting bandaged up. There were a lot of boils." Ursa says. "Madam Pomfrey said I had to go to class because, unlike Binns, Hagrid would notice if I was missing." The Slytherins notice Harry.

     "Hey Potter. Split up with your girlfriend yet?" Pansy asks. "Why was she so upset at breakfast?"

      Harry ignores them but Ursa doesn't. Ursa turns and points at Pansy. "I know you wrote the letter calling her that word." She turns her finger onto Draco. "And I know you told her what to write." Ursa glares at Draco and fear fill his eyes.

     "I told you she'd know." Pansy says to Draco.

     "Why do you have to know me so well?" Draco groans.

     "Because I'm your big sister. It's my job." Ursa says. They go outside and see Hagrid with crates. "Not again." Ursa groans. When they get closer, they see that there are black fluffy creatures with long snouts in the crates. "Nifflers!" Ursa yell happily.

     Hagrid lets out a deep chuckle. "I knew you'd be excited to see em Ursa."

     Ursa walks over to a crate and one jumps out at her. She giggles as it tries to take her watch. "No that's mine little niffler."

     "These are nifflers, as Ursa said." Hagrid says. "You find em in mines mostly. They like sparkly stuff. Go ahead and take a look." One of the nifflers leaps out of the box and tries to bite Pansy's watch off her wrist. Ursa laughs. "Useful little treasure detectors. We're gonna have some fun with em today. I buried some gold coins for them to get. Take off your valuables and choose a niffler. Whose ever digs up the most gets a prize."

     Near the end of class, Ron has the most gold. "Can you get these as pets?" Ron asks.

     "Your mum wouldn't be happy Ron." Hagrid says.

     "They tend to wreck houses." Ursa says.

     "That should nearly be all the gold. I only buried a hundred. Oh there you are Hermione." Ursa turns her head and smiles at Hermione, whose hands are heavily bandaged. "Lets see how you've done. Count your coins." Hagrid notices Goyle sticking some coins into his pocket. "There no point in tryin to take any Goyle. It's Leprechaun Gold. Vanishes after a few hours." Ursa laughs as Goyle empties his pockets. After the counting, Ron has the most and gets a huge slab of Honeydukes chocolate as a prize. The bell rings and everyone but the Trio and Ursa leave. They help Hagrid put the nifflers back in the boxes. Ursa laughs as she carefully walks over to Hagrid, five nifflers hanging onto her.

     "I think they can tell I'm a Malfoy." Ursa laughs. "I don't even have anything valuable on me except maybe my watch." Everyone except Ron chuckles at Ursa's predicament. "Someone want to help get them off of me."

     Hagrid helps Ursa get the nifflers off of her. "What happened to your hands Hermione?" Hagrid asks. Hermione explains her morning to Hagrid. "Ah don't worry. I got some of those letters too. Just toss them into a fire."

     "You missed a really good lesson." Harry tells Hermione as they walk back to the castle. "Right Ron?" Ron doesn't answer, frowning at the chocolate in his hands.

     "Whats the matter?" Ursa asks. "Wrong flavor?"

     "No," Ron replies. "Why didn't you tell me about the gold Harry?"

     "What gold?" Harry asks.

     "At the World Cup. The gold I gave you for the Omnioculars. It was leprechaun gold."