Chapter Thirty

Brooke Spencer

"Merry Christmas, baby!"

I step into my dad's home and a warm scent of cinnamon and burning wood fills my nose. I smile at him as I rebalance all of my gifts and lean in for a hug.

"Merry Christmas, dad." I kiss his cheek and release him, only to be pulled into another hug from Jennifer.

"Merry Christmas, Jen."

"Merry Christmas, darling." She releases me and assists in taking the gifts to the living room.

"Jennifer's family is here." Dad says as she walks away from us and I smile.

"Oh gosh, I haven't seen them in ages." I smile and follow him. My phone begins to buzz as we walk toward the kitchen and I pause. I look at the screen, an unmistakable grin surely settling on my lips.

"Dad, I'll be right back. I need to take this." He waves me off and I excuse myself from the room, walking into his office space.

"Niall." I say with a large smile on my face.

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart."

"Merry Christmas to you." I quickly respond. I feel my heart pulse against my chest. It's amazing what his voice, alone, does to me.

I miss him.

"How are you?"

"I am doing quite well. How are you?" I can practically hear his smile in his response.

"I was doing just fine, but am even better now. Gosh, I miss you, darlin'. I can not wait to see you."

"Oh Niall, I miss you so much. We have three days until we see each other." Another soft smile pulls at my lips.

"Three days, indeed. I can not wait to pull you close and kiss you again. I've missed that." My cheeks flame at his words and he's left me speechless.

"Was that too much?" I bite my lip.

"It was perfect." We fall silent for a couple of moments letting all that was just said linger.

"I can't stay long, darlin'. I just had to call and tell you hi and Merry Christmas."

"I am so glad you did. I was going to call you in a little while." I sigh and push a hand through my hair.

"I'm glad you were thinking of me. I can hardly stand this distance."

"Neither can I." My heart continues to race.

I can feel the words I've been longing to say, creep up on me. I can feel my heart in my throat and the emotion rolling over me.

I have to tell him.

I have to tell him now.

"Niall?" He hums.

"I," I blow out a shaky breath.

"I just," I sigh a frustrated sigh.

I can't do it.

I can't tell him.

I have to be face to face with him.

"Never mind." I whisper and sigh again.

"What is it, love?" I shake my head and bring my hand up to cover my mouth. Tears spring to my eyes as I come to the realization that hits me like a freight train. 

I am so in love with him.

My heart belongs to him.

Every single drop of it.