Epilogue

-Niall Horan-

*Four and a half years later*

When I push the front door open, I am welcomed by two blonde haired children, and a very excited golden retriever puppy.

"Daddy!!" The oldest of the two, Dean, comes running into my arms.

"Hey buddy. How was your day?" My three year old son just smiles and giggles at me. I kiss his head, then scoop up my almost two year old baby girl. 

"Hello, Paisley. Daddy loves you and missed you so much!" She giggles when I begin to shower her skin with kisses. I then set her down and watch as she and Dean take off running toward their play room. I loosen my scarf and hang it on the coat rack in the entry. I then tear my coat off, doing the same, before making my way to the kitchen.

I smile before stalking over to my beautiful wife, Madeline. I wrap my arms around her waist from behind and and press a soft kiss to the side of her neck. She giggles and mutters a quick 'hold on' before finishing up with her stirring and setting the spoon down beside the stove. She then turns around and smiles at me, softly pulling me down for a quick kiss. She allows her hands to linger near my face when she pulls back from my lips.

"Welcome home, baby." I smile and lean down to kiss her again. We soon separate so that she can tend to the cooking dish behind us. I grab for a glass and begin to pour myself some of the wine from an already opened bottle. Madeline cautiously eyes me. 

"Must have been a day for you to actually drink?" she softly asks and I casually shrug. My eyes wander to the calendar hanging on the wall and my heart softly jumps against my chest. 

Madeline is aware that I really don't drink unless I just feel the need to unwind from a stressful day or it's a big occasion.  The amount that I drank in those first few months, following Brooke's death, was enough to last me a lifetime. 

I let out a long shaky breath and again, my wife looks at me. She frowns when her eyes meet mine. I watch as she sets down her current task to come over to me. She places a few fingers beneath my chin and lifts it so that I am forced to look at her. She shoots me a very soft smile.

"I'm sorry, baby." My brows crease when I look at her and she gives me a knowing look. 

"Don't think that I forgot what today is." I swallow roughly when she says it, trying to hold my tears in. Again, I let out a very shaky breath.

"I-I am so sorry." I softly apologize and shake my head. Immediately, Madeline shakes her head and presses a kiss to my jaw. 

"Don't you dare apologize to me, honey. We both have gone through this and I understand, more than you know. You and I both know that I get upset on Jack's day too." I swallow and nod, finally smiling. 

"I know, I know. Thank you." She just smiles and leans in for a kiss. I kiss her then finish my glass of wine. She goes back to cooking and we stand in silence for a moment, until she remembers something.

"Oh, Niall?" I hum. Her face falls a little. "I think you need to go talk with Theo and Mallory." My brows crease and she shoots me a saddened smile. "They just aren't doing the best today either. Especially Theo. Plus, Mallory has been quite ill all day. I didn't make either of them go to school. They've been inseparable." I slowly nod before thanking her. 

I make my way through the living room and pass the baby play room, softly smiling. I head upstairs, peeking into Mallory's room, only to find it vacant. I frown and head to Theo's room, softly knocking. I hear a quiet 'come in' and push the door open. There's a soft glow from a lamp, enough so that I can see two bodies laying on the bed. I step inside and close the door behind me, moving so that I can sit on the edge of the bed.