The Truth Is A Matter Of Circumstance

Start from the beginning

"Sign something?" I question, still in complete shock by her presence. Judging by Wanda's face she's just as surprised as I am.

Y/N hands me over the binder in her hand opening it to the front page. I start flicking through the pages, reading over the contract in front of me.

She wants a merger, she wants me to help save her firm, well not her firm.

"Oh, you have to be kidding me." I laugh sarcastically.

"Like I said I need you to agree to this." She says sternly, avoiding eye contact with me as she speaks.

"And what makes you think I'd agree to a merger with Mrs. Danvers, I understand her firm has been struggling lately but you, of all people she sent you here to ask me to sign the papers, no meeting, no preposition just a request from you." I laugh.

I wipe a tear that'd started to build up from all the laughter "I'm sorry, it's not funny," I laugh again, "no it's definitely funny."

Y/N turns to face Wanda and Maria. "Would you give us a minute please?"

Maria and Wanda awkwardly leave.

"Natasha, I need you to do this."

"You married your professor and now you want me to save her firm, me!" I shout, now that the laughter has faded all that seems to be left is hurt and anger so fresh it's like the day she'd left.

She clears her throat as she looks down at her hands, my eyes follow. "Oh," I say quietly.

"No, no I didn't marry my professor, not that it'd be any of your damn business if I did, you made it very clear to me you never wanted me so frankly who I marry has nothing to do with you," she snaps sternly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I question confusedly.

"You and Wanda didn't wait long, did you?" she sneers.

I gulp feeling the pit in my stomach slowly start to consume me "You sa-" she cuts me off "I just need you to sign this... I won and you owe me this."

"Y/N it's been a little over two years since anyone has seen you, you dumped your letter of resignation with Wanda you didn't so much as give anyone a goodbye... you just left."

"I did the best I could, and I told you to call me, and you never did, I waited and waited and you never called!"

I shake my head "you never told me to call."

"In my letter, I left you a letter inside of the envelope with my resignation."

I look at her slightly confused "I never got a letter."

TWO YEARS AGO-

WANDA'S POV-

"Wanda, can I talk to you?" A voice speaks quietly. I look up to see Y/N standing in front of my desk, her eyes are red as if she'd just been crying. "I haven't seen you all week," I tell her. My heart aches as my eyes lock with hers. The broken façade of herself standing in front of me turns my stomach.

Fury building within me as I battle mentally with myself.

Kiss her.

Slap her. 

Do nothing.

"Please just come outside with me, I don't want to see anyone," she speaks quietly. I reluctantly follow her downstair, to a bench outside the office. We sit side by side.

"Y/N what's going on?" I question.

"I'm leaving, I've been offered another job. I figured I could use some space." She hands me over a brown envelope.