The Truth Is A Matter Of Circumstance

Start from the beginning

She giggles quietly still placing kisses on my neck "something like that."

"Miss Maximoff," I scold jokingly.

"I'm sorry I just can't help it," she whispers.

I turn my head so that I can see her face, "I promise you, we can continue all of this later."

I turn back around after hearing tapping on the glass, Maria walks in, files in hand. "Hey, I've got everything ready for our meeting with the client later today."

"Wonderful, I'll go through the deposition with you now then you can meet me back here at like 1ish just after lunch and we'll take my car."

"I'll take this as my queue to leave," Wanda smiles as she leaves my office.

I start going through the deposition with Maria quickly updating her on anything she needed to know, just like usual she takes in everything I say quickly, occasionally noting down anything important she need to remember.

Yet another tapping on my door startles Maria and I out of concentration. Wanda awkwardly struggles to open the door with coffee in her hand. Maria quickly gets up to open the door for her.

"Figured I go on the coffee run just before lunch starts to avoid the rush."

"Thanks," I say as I take the to-go cup from her hand.

I look out over the office watching everyone packing away their things "you know we could just order food to come up here." I tell them both.

Maria peeks her head round to see out of the glass, watching the chaos carefully, "yeah that sounds best."

"Ever since the firm started hiring more it feels like there are a thousand more people here," Wanda adds.

"That's because there are a thousand more people, not all on this floor of course but yeah we've been hiring a lot more people to handle the sheer number of clients that we have." 

Maria laughs, "I knew you'd been hiring a lot more people but damn that's a lot."

Wanda nods, "right! She's the reason it takes 20 minutes to get half-decent coffee."

"Doc my pay to cover the cost of hiring but take away my coffee and we're going to have a problem," Maria jokes.

Once upon a time, I'd never have been this friendly with my employees, but I've changed as a person.

"You two pick somewhere to eat," I tell them.

I watch over the employees as they leave, the bing of elevator doors opening and closing as they rush out for their lunch hour. I watch the floor slowly start to empty until one person catches my eye.

Black stilettos, black pantsuit, black lace ensemble peeking through a sheer black blouse, and deep red lipstick. The woman walks with her head tall each step and sway of her hips radiating expense and success.

I take in a deep breath as my eyes lock with hers, eyes I haven't seen in what feels like forever. Wanda's eyes follow my stare, shortly followed by Maria's eyes. All of us are now fixated on the woman we used to know.

"She-" Maria starts.

"Looks different." Wanda finishes.

Perfectly curled hair bounces over her shoulders as she makes her way over to my office, a proud smirk on her face, black leather binder in hand.

Without a knock, she opens the door. "Y/N?" I question.

She gulps as she lets out a shaky breath. "I'm not staying for long I just need to ask you to sign something for me." Her voice is just as soft as it'd always been only now, she seems to hold a level of pride and authority I'd never heard in her before.