Meet Lindsey

Interviewers: mikaelkrownmk Tara0Tara123

Today, we've got LittleCinnamon with us! Lindsey is a Wattpad Star, featured writer, and Wattys winner. One of her popular works is Hedoschism, a Fantasy story that features angels, demons, and romance. If just like Lindsey, you're also a fan of Stephen King, James Herbert, Dean Koontz, Anne Rice, and Glen Duncan, then you'd surely enjoy this interview.

Let's hear what she's got to say.

What's your name and tell us a little about yourself?

I'm Lindsey also known as @littlecinnamon. I'm a mother of one, from Bedfordshire in the UK (just north of London) and in real life, I'm a sales manager for a fashion jewellery supplier. I've been on Wattpad for 9 years and during that time have been commissioned 3 times to write stories under the Wattpad Stars program. I write mostly urban fantasy and paranormal fantasy, with some sci-fi and horror thrown into the mix.

Who inspires you to write?

I would have to say my readers do. There's nothing quite like the amazing feedback and encouragement from my Wattpad readers, which is probably why I can never stay away too long.

What's your favorite quote?

"Come on back and we'll see if you remember the simplest thing of all – how it is to be children, secure in belief and thus afraid of the dark." ― Stephen King.

Can you describe your perfect writing area?

It's mostly perched on the end of the sofa, with the Macbook resting on the arm and snacks at the ready, but as long as I have peace and quiet, that's pretty much all I need. Oh, and diet coke. Lots of diet coke.

How do you come up with names of your characters?

It usually depends on where the character is from and in which time period they were born. Often, I'll build the character notes first then try to choose a name I think fits with their personality. Inspiration for names can come from all places – from something as simple as Google search, to video games, music and movies.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

Fantasy for me, is about building a world that is believable. A story might be set on a completely fictional planet or fictional world, it might be taking fantasy characters such as angels and demons, vampires, or fae and placing them somewhere in our world, but however you do it, it must be so convincing that the reader can place themselves in that story and believe it could be real. I think great fantasy really brings these worlds to life, whether it's Middle-earth, the Grishaverse or something like the Underworld series.

What's your favorite Fantasy book on Wattpad?

My favourite is Blood of Azura by @scarlettedrake. I'd never really read much epic fantasy romance before and in all honesty, wasn't sure it was for me, but the amazing world-building, the storytelling and the incredible characters drew me right in. I have oodles of respect for writers who can switch genres and still totally pull it off convincingly.

What Fantasy sub-genre is easier for you to write?

Urban fantasy and paranormal romance fantasy are probably where my writer's heart lives (and loves) most. I'm a big fan of Anne Rice and Lindsay J. Pryor, and have always loved vampire fiction so that's where I ended up starting when I wrote my first full-length Wattpad story.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

I used to write whole novels without any planning whatsoever and looking back now, quite frankly, it shows that I had no clue what I was doing or where I was taking the story! These days, I tend to plan, even if it's just brief chapter notes. I might not always plan it all the way through before I start writing, but will plan in chunks of say, 5 chapters at a time, so I know where I'm heading with the story.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

I would say I'm mostly an introvert. I'm quite happy in my own little bubble and hate new situations, and often feel uncomfortable going to places I haven't been before and meeting people I don't know. Having said that, when I'm nervous I also have a tendency to talk a lot and babble, so to some people I might come across quite differently!

Favorite food?

Literally anything potato-based! Although at the moment, my favourite food is wholemeal bread toasted, with nutella spread and strawberries layered on top.

Favorite colour?

Black.

Most used app?

Wattpad and Twitter.

A country or city you'd like to visit?

There are so many I'd like to visit, but Rome would definitely be top of my list.

How do you relax after a long day?

I love binge-watching TV shows. At the moment, I'm obsessed with Downton Abbey.

Who's your role model?

Probably my dad. He's a musician and has been in bands all his life. He's 70 now and is still rocking and having loads of fun with it, and I really admire his passion for doing what he loves.

Read the book or watch the movie?

The book - naturally ;-)

Summer or Winter?

There are things I love about both, but I'll go with summer as there's nothing quite like a bit of sunshine.

Pop or R&B?

I'll stick to my 80's childhood and say pop, but I love all types of music.

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

I'm currently working on two stories. The main project A Feast of Souls is a paranormal romance set in Victorian Shropshire and based on the secretive and dark ritual of sin-eating to absolve the sins of the recently departed. The other project is The Haunting of Amelia Austen which is my top 10 finalist entry to the Mediacorp x Wattpad Podcast Writers Competition. We were asked to submit one chapter only, but I loved the idea so much I decided to keep writing the rest of the story.

And there you have it, thanks again LittleCinnamon for your time spent on this interview. Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.