A Friend

Toby opened his eyes, and groaned slightly. It was still the middle of the night, and he just wanted it to be morning. Even though he was off to school, he couldn't bare this place any longer. He just wanted to stay away until all the work had been done.

Maybe though...

Just maybe...

He made his way down the stairs, the feeling of the eyes normal to him now. The living room was silent, as he made his way over to the door. There was nothing to show that anything abnormal was going on here.

But..

The door swung open, and the purple and blue light danced on his face, the warm wind hitting his face as it had done the night before.

Smiling a little, he stooped down, and started inching forward on hands and knees.

He arrived in the familiar house, but again it was new and glowing with warmth. He made his way out of the living room and into the kitchen to find his other mother.

"Hello darling," her smile was wide and welcoming, something only found in a dream.

"Hi," Toby walked round and sat at the kitchen table, head in hands.

"What's wrong?" The other mother asked, she stood over him, her smile gone and a look of genuine concern on her face.

"School tomorrow," Toby sighed and let his head fall on the table.

"Really?" Toby looked up.

"Didn't you hear?" She asked him.

"No,"

"School is close because of flooding!" She exclaimed, sliding an omelette onto his plate that had appeared in front of him.

"Woah," he said, looking down at the meal. Only now did the smell hit him, the warmth of the place, like it took his other senses a little time to catch up.

"Eat up," she insisted.

"Is there really no school tomorrow?" Toby asked with a mouthful of egg, ham and cheese.

"Absolutely, the emailed just a few hours ago,"

she looked so pleased for some reason. Like it was good for school to be closed.

Not complaining, Toby thought. Still, a bit weird though.

Once he had finished, the plate was whipped away from him, and she went to sit down.

"Now, I have a little surprise for you," she said, grinning a grin that was a little too wide.

"Really?"

"Oh yes," and with that, there was a knock on the door.

"Why don't you go and answer it?" She whispered, leaning in a little closer and tapping her nose.

Toby leaped up and vacated the kitchen. He half jogged down the hallway, exited but a little sceptical at the same time. Surveying the walls, he saw that they were again nicely done up with no peeling wallpaper and no rotting wood. The lighting was low, and it came from polished metal chandeliers that hung from the ceiling.

He reached out for the handle of the door, the brass glinting gold into his eye. At home, it was covered in a layer of rust.

Toby swung the door open, and there, on the doorstep, was Ben.

"Ben! Oh my god, it's so good to see you!"

"You too man,"

The other mother smiled from inside the house, concealed in the shadows.