the things you do to me

Start from the beginning

he sighs when he finishes that thought, his grin slowly fading back into a mere frown. his heart flutters a little, but he doesn't know why.

"thank you sapnap," the blond retorts, clicking his tongue, "and i guess you're right. i'll work on it."

they take a break from conversation again. sapnap can hear dream stretching his arms, yawning a few times. he asks him if he's tired, to which he swiftly responds no. sapnap isn't tired either, yet the yawns are infectious.

he puts a leg up on his desk absentmindedly. it's not the most comfortable position, but he's bored and full of energy. his chair spins back and forth a good few times before dream speaks up again.

"nine years, huh?"
"nine years."

the simple sentence makes him feel all warm and happy inside.

"crazy nine years too," he adds, laughter bubbling up.
"definitely."

he lets a few giggles escape before his mind takes him back to 2012.

"dude, i remember i was so nervous when you first added me on skype, cause i had never talked to anyone in vc before. my irl friends maybe, but no one except them. i was like shitting myself in my chair-"

dream's taunting wheeze cuts off his rambling.

"no it's not funny! i was like actually scared dude!"
"oh i bet you were, baby sapnap in front of the computer about to hit up a stranger on skype," he laughs.

"yeah! i wasn't even allowed to speak to strangers like that on the internet. my parents would've decapitated me."
"you're lucky i was so nice."

he was. they got along instantly and came back just days later to play together again. sapnap had never been so excited to log onto minecraft before.

"i can't believe i kept up with you," dream snorts, "you were such a little shit."
"hey! what do you mean, asshole?" sapnap retaliates, hand on his chest in offense.
"i'm just kidding, you were alright."
"really? are you sure?"

sapnap suddenly feels like a little kid again, searching for dream's approval.

"okay, you were a bit annoying at times," the blond admits, "like when you'd spam me when i was busy. but it's alright. you were cool anyway."
"promise?"

he knows dream can't see him, yet he looks into his webcam with big puppy eyes. on his lips is a little pout; not intentional, but fitting enough for the situation.

"yes, i promise! you were a great friend even back then, stop worrying about it pandas."

the childhood nickname makes his heart skip a beat. his pout is replaced by a huge grin. giggling, he continues the throwback.

"man, those were the days huh?"
"they were," dream agrees.
"just... innocent bickering, endless pvp games.."

"you're gonna make me emotional."
"the good kind?"
"i guess so."

sapnap sighs. it's a sigh of nostalgia. outside his window only street lights chase the darkness away. little raindrops have started to fall from the sky.

"i remember how shy you were in calls with other people, you'd like hide behind my back pretty much," dream chuckles.
"god, i know.."

he hides his face in his hands like he's ashamed.

"it hasn't even changed. you're still pretty quiet, you know."
"yeah yeah, shut up dream," he mumbles, "just because you talk so much."
"well, i wouldn't say that..."

"you used to talk over me all the time and i got so pissed, like dude, stop interrupting me!"
"i'm sorry!" dream wheezes, "i was a hyper child-"
"-and an idiot," sapnap cuts in.
"okay, that's just rude.."