the things you do to me

Start from the beginning

sapnap feels his own voice becoming unsteady. if there's anyone in the world that he's got an unhealthy amount of sympathy for, it's dream. but he knows that his words are all he has to comfort him, so he clears his throat to get the shake out.

"hey, don't let her bullshit get to you. you guys are over, just ignore it."
"i know, i know..." dream sighs, "but it's hard to like, not focus on the past. it feels like.. years of my life are just gone, almost. i hate it. i wish i did things differently."

he knows that dream is curled up in his chair, legs to his chest and arms loosely wrapped around them to keep them in place. he's most likely picking at his cuticles or a thread on his pants. sapnap wishes he could take his hands and stop him.

for a moment he's about to reach forward, reach through the screen to the other side where dream is, but then he quickly remembers how dumb that is. how impossible that is. once again he has to resort back to his only way of reassurance.

"don't think like that. you did nothing wrong. you shouldn't have that whole 'what if' mindset, it's so toxic. you can't change anything now. it's in the past. it is what it is. no matter how much you want to undo it."

a chair creaks again.

"yeah, i know," dream briefly responds.
"try blocking her number maybe?" sapnap suggests, "if you feel like that could help."
"tried it already. started feeling bad after like a day. guess i could try again."

sapnap knows how kind-hearted dream is. he knows that no source of evil could ever make him budge. nothing will change that stubborn kindness, for better or for worse.

"i'm over her and everything, yet it just seems like i can't let go, you know? i've let go of us, but somehow she's still hanging on by a thread."

their relationship was bumpy to say the least, and despite dream describing their breakup as relieving it tore him into shreds. it stripped him of safety, of normality. it kicked him to the curb and left him there; cold, alone.

sapnap didn't leave his side once throughout it all. he was understanding, and patient. he was willing to do anything for his best friend to heal again. he still is.

"maybe she wants you back," he points out, "i mean, when she keeps texting you like this.. you're not obliged to be there for her. you're not even obliged to be her friend. it's just hurting you, i can tell."

dream doesn't reply, so he continues.

"and if she wants to get back with you, neither of you will be happy just making small talk over text. you will never get what you want. she will never get what she wants. it's a vicious cycle."

there are sounds of dream shuffling in his seat, picking something up off the floor. once he's done he exhales sharply, and it almost sounds like a sarcastic laugh.

"why are you always right?"
"you usually whine about me being an idiot," sapnap huffs, "but go on."
"well, i was just talking about situations like these. you know, serious ones."

he can practically hear dream's expression through the screen. he's got a small smile on his face for sure, whether it's a happy one or not. that knowledge alone makes sapnap's face light up into a smile as well. it's funny. sometimes the two of them almost seem to be sharing emotions.

"i know most things about you, dream," he chuckles, "it's not that hard for me to be right. and if i know one thing extra well, it's that you're too kind. way too kind. you need to like, give yourself some space. stop being such a people pleaser. that's my final take."

the man in question remains silent once again, but sapnap doesn't need a response. he knows dream is listening, and that he understands.

the monster can by his keyboard is empty, and so is his bowl of cereal from earlier. he picks it up and pokes it out of boredom, denting the metal. despite the call being quiet, it's not awkward. he could sit for hours in his chair fiddling, content knowing that dream's there with him, even if he doesn't say a word. just another perk of childhood friendship.