Chapter 3 - The Explosion

"Nyx, NO! Don't touch that!" Cassian tackled Nyx just before he could bring the chandelier down. I winnowed to them and clasped the magic-restraining cuffs onto Nyx's wrists. 

Nyx babbled and started playing with Cassian's wings. Cassian folded them up, hiding them from the naughty half-Iliryan baby. Nyx babbled and started playing with Cassian's shoulder-length hair. I rolled my eyes; Nyx loved Cassian more than anyone. It worried me, I didn't want him to turn into Cassian.

Cassian cooed to Nyx, tickling him and blowing raspberries into his bare stomach.

I moved to grab Nyx from Cassian, about to mutter something about taking Nyx for his nap, when Azriel burst into the room, eyes wide. He was panting softly, his shadows swirling around him. "Explosion at the Rainbow."

I gasped and winnowed away, Nyx cuddled to my chest.

___

Plumes of fire licked the smoke-clouded sky.

Buildings there had all turned to ash.

Fire was slowly devouring Velaris.

Panic was everywhere.

And in the center, a golden-haired man with an ancient sword resting on his back carried buckets of water. Near him, a human with magical powers was shooting ice towards the buildings. A beautiful woman with long white hair rode on a giant beast, on in the likes of Hybern, carrying water on and around her beast. The beast was getting water from the sidra and sparing it at the burning buildings. A human woman with golden-brown hair was healing burnt people, and a brown-haired man next to her was helping the newly-healed people get away from the fire. A horse with a dark-haired female rider was helping the man safely get people away from the fire, knowing exactly what to do as if it had a mind of its own. Another dark-haired man was running around lifting debris off of trapped people. Another golden-haired man was helping him. They were both fae.

No matter their species, they worked efficiently.

"Feyre! What are you waiting for? Give Nyx to someone and HELP US PUT OUT THE FIRE!" Mor yelled at me from where she was on the ground, lifting people up and healing them with her golden powers.

I rolled my eyes and handed Nyx over to a nearby civilian, then called on my wings. After flying high up, I raised blobs of water from the Sidra and floated them above a burning building. Slowly, I lowered the blobs of water onto the building, slowly easing the fire away. I cut off the air supply from another building, efficiently stopping the fire, but we were still moving slowly. Night-kissed power streaked through the burning buildings, stopping fires after fires. Now the power bunched up like fabric, swirling like fog. Rhys moved to the center of a few houses. He sent out his power.

The fired turned to nothing.

Back with the strange people, they had stopped more than half the fires on their own.

And almost all of them were human.

The man with magic was shooting ice at the fires, effectively stopping the fires without using too much magic. Rhys, Cass, and Az had stopped the rest of the fires.

There was one section left, and I summoned my pack of water wolves, who ran up, down, around, and over the fire. The flames disappeared, and the wolves carried the flames into the heart of the Sidra. 

The group of strangers huddled together, and I watched miraculously as the horse turned into a beautiful black-haired woman. They were conversing in hushed tones that even my fae ears could not detect.

"They're wondering how they got here, and what this place is," a soft voice whispered behind me. I jumped.

"Way to give me a heart attack, Azriel." I frowned at the Illyrian.