Chapter Fourteen

The sun was setting over Venice Beach, washing Roller Skate Dance Plaza in shimmery hues of purple, orange, and hot pink. The air smelled of salty popcorn with hints of weed, and Christine took a deep breath, wanting to imprint the smell into memory for when she returned to wet, miserable Wickhambreaux.

Stevie finished tying the laces of her roller-skates and stood up gracefully without a single wobble. Skaters of all ages whooshed past her, completely oblivious that they were in the presence of a major star. But Stevie was notably dressed down for the occasion. She wore simple black leggings paired with a loose purple top, and her long hair was pulled up in a ponytail held by a velvet scrunchie. In that get up, Stevie could easily pass off as someone's eccentric older aunty, not the mysterious songstress she was normally known for.

"Right, are you ready?" Stevie asked her.

"I can't believe you convinced me to do this," Christine said as she tentatively pushed off with one foot and shakily glided with the other. She tumbled forward and Stevie had to grab her forearm before she fell. "Okay, I'm just making a complete fool out of myself now. Can we go home?"

"No! You're just out of practice," Stevie insisted. "Take my hand."

Christine held Stevie's hand and they slowly took off. Christine copied Stevie's precise movements and soon enough, she fell into a gentle rhythm and could propel herself faster.

"See, you got it!" Stevie beamed.

Christine smiled back at her and they continued down the plaza, still holding hands and totally in sync.

----

"Wait, you're what?" Christine gushed into the phone. "You're really coming to the UK early? That's so exciting, darling! I didn't think you would have the time."

"I know," Stevie said happily. "Like, obviously I'll be doing a lot of press work for the tour and In Your Dreams, but it could be a cute little vacation before the boys join me."

"I've been telling you for ages you should come visit," Christine said as she walked to her bedroom window. "If you have some spare time, you can stay with me and I'll show you around...or we could go on a road trip somewhere nice? Bring Sula with you, too. She and Charlie will get along like a house on fire."

"Oh my god, I love that!" Stevie squealed and Christine smiled at her unabashed enthusiasm. "I've really missed you over the past month, babe," she confided in a quieter voice.

Christine stroked a curtain tassel between her fingers and gazed out the window. Autumn was beginning to descend upon Wickhambreaux, and Christine could see the season's cosy aesthetic weaving its way through her gardens. The leaves were slowly turning into rustic-gypsy colours of orange, red, and gold...and Christine couldn't wait to see what kind of magic Stevie would cast on The Quaives when she arrived.

"I miss you, too, gorgeous," she told Stevie, lightly dragging her fingertip over her bottom lip. "I can't wait to see you. We'll have so much fun together."

----

"Okay, so," Christine began ceremoniously as she plopped down next to Stevie on the bed with her laptop. "You have two choices: Talacre Beach in Wales or the lakes in Windermere. They're both magical and mystical and all that naff you like."

Stevie gave her a playful shove. "Well, which one's closer?"

"Talacre Beach. That will take us about three hours if we leave from London tomorrow. We can stay in my flat for the night and then set off from there."

Stevie rested her chin on Christine's shoulder while she scrolled through the photos of the beach, her soft hair tickling the back of Christine's neck.