Mr. Osborn

When I walked into Oscorp Monday morning, the woman at the desk looked at me weirdly as I walked in. 

“I’m here for Harry… I-I mean Mr. Osborn, you know.. that.. guy.” I pointed to a large screen that was showing a clip of Harry. 

“Yes.” she said venomously. “I’m aware.” 

“Oh..” I mouthed, sound barely coming out. 

“That elevator.” she told me, pointing to the one I was to get in. When I reached the elevator, there was a man in there, he had dark skin and a noticeable comb over. He stopped the elevator doors from closing and let me in. 

“Oh, thank you, sir.” I smiled lightly at him. 

“I’m Max.” he introduced himself. 

“I-I’m Lou.” I told him, tucking brown strands of hair behind my ear and holding my hands together in front of me. 

“Oh, well what floor, Lou?” 

“I’m going to the top one…”I answered. “I think…” I added. “It’s my first day, I’m a little nervous, sorry.”

“Oh no, I understand.” he said. 

“Harry’s an old friend of mine… Oh wait, I think I’m supposed to call him Mr. Osborn.” I fretted. 

“Well, I’m sure you’ll do great.” he assured. The elevator dinged and made me jump. 

“We’re here.” he smiled. 

“Thank you so much, Max. I really appreciate that.” I said, stepping out of the elevator and watching the doors close. As I turned around, I collided with someone. We both apologized at the same time. 

“Do I know you?” the person asked as she helped me pick up her papers. I looked up, it was Gwen Stacy. 

“Uhhhh…. no. I mean, yes you know who I am but not… I mean we didn’t hang out or anything, I met you once because Peter… Peter’s my best frien- I-I’m the one you spilled your coffee on that afternoon, my name is Lou but he was calling me December because that’s…” I looked up noticing how she looked at me and I realized I was making myself look like an idiot. “I had shorter hair and probably glasses.” I finished quietly, holding my hair out because it‘s a lot longer now than it was then.

“I remember you.” she smiled. 

“Oh.” 

“Yea, Peter told me you were back. He said that you and him and Harry were, like, best friends.” she said. 

“Yep.” 

“So, what are you doing in here? Are you here to see Mr. Osborn?”

“Uh, no, I did that yesterday and then he gave me a job.” 

“Oh cool, I work here too. Look, I have to go, but I’ll see you around, okay?” 

“Yea, okay.” I said, waving a little. I finally found Harry’s office and sighed deeply after I closed the door, causing Harry to laugh. 

“Rough start?”  Harry laughed. 

“Sorry.. Um.. M-Mr. Osborn.” I stuttered, he looked up from his desk at me. 

“Seriously?” he laughed.

“What?” 

“You’re going to call me Mr. Osborn.” 

“You’re my boss, I’m supposed to, right, you’re Mr. Osborn?” 

“That’s cute but I’m your friend first. You can call me Harry.” he assured me, standing up and tapping papers on his desk. “I’m going to a meeting so you can just sit there and look pretty.” he smiled, walking past me and closing the door on his way out. I walked slowly over to his chair, sitting down in it. I ran my hands over the leather, it was soft, cold, and shiny. I swirled the chair around, slipping my shoes off and pulling my legs up to my chest, looking out is window in amazement, gawking at the view.