•t w e n t y f o u r •

Start from the beginning

"You won't Jordan and you won't stop me from going. This is my sister and apparently this also involves my brother. When it comes to them, especially him, no one, not even you can get in my way. So, are you going to drive me to the airport or should I get an uber?"

With no other alternatives, Jordan relented and put on clothes. Apart of him wanted to tag along but he had two away games coming up that would make that impossible. Still, when he dropped her off, a large part of him wanted to forget everything and follow her just to ensure she was safe and Elijah was good.

Yara was a force, he should've known by now that he was no match for her will.

-

Yara arrived in Phoenix at 9:45 AM and was met by Vashti and Destin, her niece. The little girl ran into her arms and told her all about life in Phoenix the entire way to the hospital. Yara tried her best to keep up the front of happiness to preserve Destin's innocence. How could you tell a six year old that her mother's health was on the line?

"Titi, are you having a baby boy or girl?" Destin asked curiously as she rubbed Yara's belly.

"It's a baby boy Des."

"Really? I always wanted a baby brother but mommy's having another princess." Destin shrugged as if she was still coming to terms with the news which made Yara chuckle.

"Yeah well, you'll have a baby boy cousin. Does that make it better?"

"I guess, but he'll be far away. What's his name?"

Yara raised an eyebrow conspiratorially before she turned off the highway and continued her expedited path to the hospital.

"If I tell you, you have to promise to keep it a secret. Very few people know, only really important people."

"I promise. I want to be an important person." Destin moved her hand against her mouth in a zipper like fashion and stared at her aunt with big bright brown eyes.

"You are Des, you're a very important person. His name is Elijah, but you can call him Jahi."

"Jahi, I like that. I can't wait to meet him. I can't wait to meet my sister too."

"Me either Des, I bet she's cute as a button just like you were."

"Is she tiny?"

Destin queried as she twirled one of Yara's curls around her finger.

"Yeah she's really small Des. Smaller than you were even."

The child bounced in her seat as the lights of the hospital came into her vision. Yara shook her head at her niece and sighed. This far in her pregnancy she didn't expect for news like this to come her way especially as things were just going well in her life.

Vashti had to take care of things at the shop , so Yara took over.

Parking near the entrance, Yara eased herself out carefully before she grabbed her niece's hand and walked into the chaos which was the maternity ward where they had moved Aya that morning.

Passing the bassinets in the nursery Destin placed her face against the glass and looked at all the babies that came into her view. About fifteen little bundles were wrapped up and looking blindly around the room.

"Which one is Dior?"

Big brown eyes focused on Yara's face but a deep voice answered the question before she could.

"That little angel over there." Devin brought himself down to Destin's height for a bit before he pointed out Dior who was laying quietly at the front , a small sleepy grin on her face. Yara took this time to watch their interactions, it all seemed so natural. Like Devin had missed no time at all with the first born Booker.