chapter 18- last words

Day 9 of Wilbur in the hospital.

I could hear the doctors outside of the room, talking and saying very concerning things.

  "I'm going to have to let his friend know" one of them said, as he opened the door.

  Wilbur was thankfully still asleep, so if I were to recieve bad news, he wouldn't hear it.

  "Good morning y/n" the man said.

  "Good morning doctor. Do we have any new information?" I immediately asked, not wanting to waste any time on irrelavant things.

  "We do" the doctor said, pausing for a second before turning the page on his clipboard.

  "He was doing well, really, but... there was a bit of an unexpected turn of events" he started explaining.

  Although I didn't know what I would hear yet, chills spread through my body quickly, almost like a wildfire.

  "He is going to need surgery, as soon as he can. We thought it could wait, but from the looks of it, that's not an option anymore" the doctor finished his sentence, his eyebrows frowned, face full of concern.

I took a step back, trying to comprehend the thought.

Surgery that couldn't wait.

That couldn't be good.

Suddenly, as I tilted my head upwards, the ceiling started spinning around, and when I tried looking back down, my head felt light.

I stumbled towards Wilbur's bed as carefully as I could to take a seat.

"Are you okay?" the doctor panicked.

"I'll be okay, I just wasn't expecting the news, that's all" I tried explaining.

I hoped that the doctor had understood what I said, as I myself didn't hear the words come out of my mouth.

Ringing went off in my ears as I slowly layed down by Wilbur's side.

I heard a faint noise in the background, the door closing and a blurry vision of the doctor leaving the room.

Closing my eyes gently in an attempt to ground and calm myself; I felt weird tingling on the left side of my body as I drifted off.

-

  Last thing I remember was a weird sensation on the left side of my arm.

  I glanced at Wilbur who was now awake, with his arm around me; hence the weird feeling.

  "What happened love?" his morning voice asked as he brushed his hand across my arm.

  But was it really his morning voice?

  I realized it wasn't as soon as I looked at the clock on the wall.

  The clock hands pointing to the numbers, showing the time; 5:30 p.m.

  How was it 5:30 already??

  I must have been out for a while.

  "Y/n?" Wilbur asked again, concerned, as I didn't give him an answer the first time.

  "I just haven't been sleeping well lately that's all" I came up with the lie right on the spot.

  Wilbur gave me a silent, yet very judgemental look as he moved a bit closer to me.

  "Please don't lie to me love. I told that exact same lie to you a while ago and look at where I am now" he said.

  Usually he would laugh after saying something like that, but not this time.