chapter 4- the neighbor

My alarm clock went off.

  I let the sound of it echo in my room for a while before I hit the stop button.

  I looked at the time.

  9:02 a.m.

  It was really early, but I had slept well, therefore didn't feel any tiredness.

  I got out of bed to see that the sky was pretty clear today, making the possibilities of it raining lower than usual.

  I went over to the kitchen and checked up on my toad lily.

  Obviously there was nothing much to see since I had just planted the seeds a day ago.

  I moved the flower pot on the other side of the counter, to make sure the sunlight wouldn't get to it now that I was opening the curtains.

  I then opened the fridge and took out some leftover pancakes from two days ago.

  I had my breakfast and it was now time to change clothes and go across the street.

  I had a floral dress that I hadn't worn in a while, and since the weather was quite good today I decided it was my chance to wear it.

  Once I was ready, I headed across the street.

  The wooden front door was open, so I let myself walk the little pathway that led to the main entrance and split the garden into two sections.

  I rang the bell and waited for about a minute, but no response.

  I rang it a second time, but once again, there was no answer.

  That was enough for me to figure that the doorbell didn't actually work, so I started knocking.

  After three knocks I heard a faint voice.

  "Just a minute" it said.

  A few seconds later, I could hear slow footsteps approaching the door.

  "Oh hello honey, what can I do for you?"  the sweet old lady asked as she opened the door.

  "Hi, I am y/n I live across the street. This might sound weird but I've noticed you have been alone lately, so I thought it would be nice to come over and introduce myself" I explained.

The woman gave me a big warm smile and waved her hand, signaling me to go inside.

"I surprisingly already have company but don't worry about it" she continued.

I figured she had a caregiver as she seemed pretty old and incapable of daily tasks.

I took a seat on the chair in her kitchen.

There were two mugs, half full on the table already.

The lady sat down and took a sip from her tea.

"My name's Annabeth by the way, but you can just call me Beth" she smiled.

"Did you say something Beth?" a voice asked from the corner of the room.

It was him.

It was still early in the morning, so it was hard to believe my eyes.

But it was actually him.

The moment he saw me, a bright smile formed on his face, making me blush.

"I was just talking to y/n, she lives across the street and decided to pay me a visit! Isn't that nice of her?" Beth explained.