Chapter 14

Act 3 - Wind, Courage and Wings

Clearpaw was sat next to Smallpaw in the centre of the crowd of cats. Dawnpaw had left them a few moments ago to join a group of other apprentices, so the two apprentices sat alone, waiting anxiously for their naming ceremonies.

Suddenly, there was a yowl from the bushes and a ginger and white tom charged through, followed by a group of cats. BirchClan was here. And the ceremony was about to start. Clearpaw turned to lick every part of her she could reach, since she wanted to look her best in front of the three clans.

Smallpaw turned to her, kneading the paws with his paws. "It's so exciting!" He said excitedly yet quietly. Clearpaw was too frozen with fear to answer, so she just nodded.

There was a yowl overhead from Cedarstar and the entire hollow went silent. Clearpaw wanted to cry from anxiety, but held it back. Then his voice rang out across the clearing.

"Tonight, we introduce a new rule to the warrior code. From now on, we will do ceremonies in the Gatherings, so all clans can celebrate the new name of a cat. And we shall initiate that rule with the warrior ceremonies of two ForestClan cats." Cedarstar looked down at Smallpaw and Clearpaw, who gulped.

"Smallpaw, step forward." Clearpaw shuddered as the small grey tom left her side and the cold air of the night hit her. She looked across the clearing at the surrounding cats and locked eyes with a beige and white tom, who was glaring aggressively at her, fear striking her like lightning, she looked away and instead looked at Smallpaw, who was looking up at Cedarstar with excited eyes.

"Smallpaw, do you swear to uphold the warrior code, for good or for worse?" Cedarstar asked, looking down at the apprentice.

"I do." He said eagerly.

"Do you swear to use what you've learnt to protect ForestClan with your life?"

"I do."

"Then from this day forward, your new name is Smallfur. Protect your clan with loyalty and respect." Cedarstar finished to yowls of approval from the cats in the clearing.

Smallfur sauntered over to Clearpaw and nudged her encouragingly, and with another gulp, Clearpaw steppped forward, shivering.

She locked eyes with Cedarstar, trying not to feel conscious of the amount of cats around her. To her relief, he started the next naming ceremony quickly.

"Clearpaw, do you swear to uphold the warrior code, for good or for worse?" A glimpse of Dragonpaw's face flashed across Clearpaw's vision and it hit her what exactly she was giving up, but, with her insides constricting, she responded "I do."