Chapter 4: I used to think you were cool

It felt like I was laying on a hard surface, while my face was being slapped gently, as if prompting me to wake up. I hear a faint-

???: Hey.... Hey.. Hey! Hey!

As I slowly open my eyes, spotting who was slapping me.

All Might: Thank goodness!

I saw All Might, bent over me. He seemed to have woken me up. 

All Might: You're ok! Excellent!

I slowly nod as I sit up, holding my still groggy head. I didn't hear much of what he said, since I was still organizing my thoughts, but he seemed to be rambling, trying to explain that it was a mistake and that endangering people wasn't his thing or whatever. He then proceeds to show me the sludge villain he had captured in 2 bottles. As I finish processing what's going on, I get to my feet before dusting myself off.

Izuku: Thank you! I don't know what would've happened if you hadn't shown up!

All Might: Hahaha! Kid, it's all in a day's work! And here!

I looked up, noticing that he was handing me my notebook. I grab it from him.

Izuku: Thanks!

I smile. My book falls open in my hand, and immediately, I notice All Might's signature written in marker across my pages. I just look at it... (Heroes really haven't changed much. Still as cocky as ever) I sigh inwardly. I put my book away as I remember my question. All Might's answer, whether bad or good, wouldn't change my goal much, but it sure would impact his image and what he means. It would also be helpful to see what his take on the matter is.

But before I could get the words out, I noticed he was already crouched down, ready to leap away. So, in a moment of desperation, I leaped onto him, just before he launches off. As he launched, I crashed into his legs and my arms immediately wrapped around them. I grit my teeth and tightly shut my eyes as wild winds thrashed my hair around and threatened to separate me from my Idol. All Might seemed to have noticed me because he immediately positioned himself so I wouldn't have whiplash if we landed, but I couldn't hear anything he said because of the wild winds blowing into my ears.

Elsewhere

3rd POV

Bakugo was walking home with his lackeys when a couple of boddles fell from the sky. Bakugo picked them up and exploded them, out of contempt for Deku, when they exploded with green sludge, covering him.

Izuku POV -

We had just landed on a rooftop and I let go of All Might's leg. I hunched over, catching my breath as All Might scolded me.

All Might: Of all the...!! Hopefully, the people downstairs will help us get down. I've no time though! Truly!!

I noticed All Might was about to leave again, but I still had to ask my question.

Izuku: Wait..!

All Might: I will not wait-

Izuku: Even without a quirk, can I still be a hero?

At this, All Might froze in his tracks, his hands still sitting on the railing. He looked at me form the corner of his eyes and began to speak.

All Might: Quirks are- *Cough*

Suddenly, All Might coughed up blood, I could do nothing but watch and worry.

Izuku: Um... All Might, are you ok?!

Suddenly, he was enveloped in smoke.

Izuku: All Might?!

The smoke cleared, revealing a skinny blond man, dressed in All Might's clothes that looked extremely baggy on him. Naturally, I began to panic.

Izuku: AAHH! You're not All Might!!

He just stared at me before speaking, with blood dripping from his mouth.

All Might: I am All Might.

Izuku: Huh...?

All Might: You know how people hold in they're gut at the pool? It's like that.

Izuku: What the fuck...?

All Might: A fearless smile... Huh. You've seen the real me kid, don't write about it on the internet.

Izuku: The fuck...

He lifted up his shirt, revealing a massive scar on his body. I couldn't help but shiver in disgust.

All Might: Five years ago, an enemy did this to me.

I had to hold my breath and swallow just to make sure today's lunch didn't come spilling out.

All Might: My respiratory system was nearly destroyed, and my stomach was removed. (A/N: Then how do you eat??) I've wasted away because of the after-effects of those surgeries. I can only do my hero work for about three hours a day.

Izuku: Five years ago? Wasn't that during the Toxic Chainsaw attack?

All Might: That lowlife? He could never do this to me. This was never made public. That is, I asked for it not to be made public. A symbol of peace who saves people with a smile... must never be daunted by evil. The reason I smile... is to stave off the overwhelming pressure and fear I feel. A pro should always be ready to risk his life. Without power, can one become a hero? No, I think not.

Izuku: *thoughts* Bullshit. Before I died in my previous life, there were plenty of powerless heroes who stood side by side with an Alien and an Amazon. 

All Might: If you desire to help people becoming a police officer is always an option. Those villain custody officers are often mocked but... that too is admirable work!

He got up and walked to the entrance of the staircase, stopping to look back at me. It wasn't hard to recognize the utter contempt he held in his gaze towards me. It was no different than what everyone else gave.

All Might: ...It's not wrong to dream. However, you need to be realistic... Kid.

His malice slipped through at the last word, before he turned away, about to walk away when I spoke.

Izuku: Y'know....

I walked up to the back of my old Idol.

Izuku: I used to think you were cool...

I growled, shoving past the wannabe husk of a hero and walking down the steps of the building. Not even sparing a glance for the skeletal man.