Chapter 3: Trying Again

The next morning you found yourself startled awake by a loud snore that made the soft chest you were laying on vibrate intensely. You gently picked up Mirio's arm, which was draped across your body, and moved to the edge of the bed. Mirio was out cold, a string of drool trailing from his mouth to his chin. Shakily, with a pained throb between your legs, you stood up and walked over to the dresser, pulling on a tank top and some pajama pants. Maybe not having a job was a good thing, you had no idea how you would have worked for 8 hours bussing paper from one end of the office to another, there was an awful limp in your gait. You walked back into the bedroom and started to clean up, folding Mirio's clothes and placing them neatly on the nightstand. You picked up the condom, once slick with fluids now dry and flakey, and tossed it into your bedside trashcan. For just a moment, your eyes flicked over to Mirio's sleeping face, and an odd emotional twinge pulled at your heart. Quietly, you left the room and walked into the kitchen to make breakfast.

You were in the process of scrambling eggs in bacon grease when you suddenly felt a strong arm wrap around your waist and pull you against a sturdy body. Before you could protest, a kiss was planted on your forehead and a soft chuckle danced in your ears. "Sorry sorry, I just couldn't resist," Mirio chuckled, "I really appreciate last night." He gave you a light squeeze, then let go to sit at the table. A blush rose to your cheeks, "U-uh, you're welcome, I guess. I didn't think it would go that far, you're smooth as hell, you know?" "So smooth that I can get your number?" You fell silent, the hearty crackle of freshly-laid bacon was the only noise between the two of you. After a moment that felt like years, Mirio gave a half-hearted chuckle and drummed his fingertips on the table, "Too much? That's alright, I can take no for an answer. Should I get going?" "N-No, it's not that, I'm just...unsure if I'm ready. I just got out of a pretty bad relationship, and-" "We don't have to be in a relationship! I'm not looking for one either. Though it would be nice to see you again, don'tcha think?" 

Your heart skipped a beat, and you mentally chastised yourself for it. You were not ready to go through another heartbreak! That last relationship fucked you up, you swore off men for the rest of your life, considered becoming a nun! Then somehow Mirio wandered back into your life with his gentle touch and bright smile and charming voice and sweet eyes and- 

oh hell.

Clenching your teeth with a slight growl, you slid eggs and bacon onto Mirio's plate, grabbed a fork, set it down in front of him and kissed his cheek. "Alright, maybe. But we can't go out til you get better," you huffed. Mirio grabbed your hand, gently, and placed a kiss on your knuckles, gazing into your eyes, "Not a moment earlier?" His voice was sultry and soft, the look in his eyes telling you he knew he had you where he wanted you. You looked away, flushed, taking your hand back, "Not til you get better. I mean it!" You left Mirio to eat breakfast and started changing the sheets on the bed. They smelled like sweat and had a few stains on them, so it was best to wash them now. You wrapped up the sheets, pillowcases and all, into a big bundle and carried it into the washroom. By the time you had finished, Mirio had eaten his breakfast.

"Y/n? I'm gonna go ahead and leave. I've Gata run a few errands." He chuckled, finding his overused joke quite amusing. You made your way to the front door, which is where Mirio stood, phone in hand. Rolling your eyes but unable to hold back a smile, you faked annoyance: "Ugh, I guess you can have my number." He handed you the phone and you added your number to his contacts, doing a quick glance over his contacts. Lots of other girl's numbers. Great. Mirio noticed the look on your face, and leaned down to kiss your forehead, "They're just classmates, I promise. Mwah-" You put up a hand to his lips, "We'll see, Mirio..." Pouting a little, Mirio gave you a quick hug goodbye and left to whatever adventure the day held for him.